Chapter 8

It's Friday afternoon, our bags are stowed in the car and we are getting ready to leave. I'm excited to see my mom and friends again. I've even texted them to let them know I'm coming, I just hope things don't get too out of hand.

Micah sleeps in the backseat for most of the journey while Nevaeh sits up front and I tell her all about my mom and friends.

"Welcome to Rockport guys." I say as we enter the town, a smile on my face.

Turning into my road, I see Jake's car parked outside my house. Could he not wait till I'd at least spent some time with my mom. I thought it was only Jake but as we get closer I see Kyle and Liam are with him as well and the three are sitting on the steps outside my house.

We pull up to the curb and I'm out of the car in an instant.

"Yo Rivers!" I call to Jake and the three come bounding down the steps each doing the bro hug and back pat with me.

I open the door for Nevaeh and I see the look on their faces change from friendly laughter to interest. I stretch my hand out to help her out of the car but continue to hold her hand.

Micah gets out as well.

"Jake, Kyle and Liam, this is Nevaeh, my girlfriend and her brother Micah," I do the introductions. Jake comes in to hug Nevaeh and because I give him a dirty look, he lingers a bit too long and Kyle and Liam does the same. I know what each these guys are capable of when it comes to girls so I have to warn them early. They are both taken aback and amused and it shows. Just saying the word girlfriend to these guys is strange and it feels funny in my mouth.

"Ash is seriously excited that you're back, I'm sorry." Jake says, looking down at Nevaeh and my clasped hands.

Shit.

Just then a beautiful blonde sticks her head out of the door two houses down.

"Eli!" she shouts excitedly and practically runs to us. She throws herself into my arms and I have to let go of Nevaeh's hand in order to catch and steady her and myself. She presses her lips to mine catching me off guard and immediately I pull away. Letting go of her I reach for Nevaeh's hand, which I can't find and notice her hands are clasped together behind her back, a look of total shock on her face.

"Hi, I'm Ash." She introduces herself in her usual friendly and bouncy manner.

The recognition on Nevaeh's face says she's picked up on whom we were speaking of just seconds ago and before she can answer I reach for her and do the introductions myself.

"Ashleigh this is Nevaeh, my girlfriend, and her brother Micah." Ash does a double take and practically sputters.

"Girlfriend?" she asks confused for a second but recovers well. "I'm so sorry, it's just that Eli, nevermind, where are my manners. It's really nice to meet you. And sorry about that" She continues, pointing to me and herself. "I'm gonna go." She says and turns and heads back to her house, her back stiff as she walks away.

I can see all the questions in Nevaeh's eyes but those will have to wait. I squeeze her hand trying to reassure her.

The guys start rambling about a party they arranged for tonight and everyone will be there.

My mom is on the top of the stairs and I envelope her into a huge hug and she starts tearing up saying how much she's missed me.

"I've missed you too mom." And I hold on for just a moment longer, trying not to tear up as well. I let go and she dabs her eyes.

"Mom this is Nevaeh and Micah Walsh," I introduce them. My mom hugs Micah first, then Nevaeh.

"Thank you," Nevaeh whispers to my mom.