take 39

Ganoon naman siguro kapag tumatanda ka. You find simple joys in simple things. Like how Maine wanted to travel the world when she's younger, and how she constantly finds sleep golden today. She also preferred having a whole day of silence now than before.

Maybe grown-ups start to lose their vigor miserably, like youth itself is slipping away. After a week of undisturbed sleep and endless movie marathons, Maine Mendoza found a not-so-expected guest at her doorstep. He was wearing his signature blue-collared shirt, tucked in his pants, with a lovely bouquet of yellow flowers hidden behind, and... a pack of Hanybar.

Napatawa naman sya. Ano, weeksary all over and over again? "Bakit ka pa nagdodoorbell?" Pinapasok na nya ang binata. "Binigyan naman kita ng susi ng bahay."

Bumalik si Alden sa sasakyan pagkatapos ilapag ang bulaklak sa mesa, at bumalik na may dalang basket. "Ayoko namang isipin mo na nagmamalabis ako."

"Wow, lalim." Inilagay na nya ang mga bulaklak sa vase. "Nagmamalabis."

Tumawa lang ang binata, bumalik sa sasakyan, at naglakad papasok ng bahay nya dala ang isang pares ng pambahay. It had become a daily habit for him, though. Staying at her house like it was his own, katulad ng paglalagi ni Maine sa bahay nila tuwing may okasyon. Pumasok ang binata sa banyo at nagbihis, and the woman went through the basket's contents. Strawberries. Ever since na-mention nya kay Alden ang healthy living style nya... he made it a point always to buy her fruits.

Sweet.

Naglabas naman sya ng cream mula sa fridge, and waited for Alden to come out from the bathroom in the living room. Somehow, they ended up like this; sitting next to each other inside one's house, kasi hindi naman sila pwedeng mag-date, 'di ba? The public only knows they're special. No confirmation from them at all, and Maine's keen on keeping everything private. Baka mangisay lang ang ALDUB Nation kapag nagselfie sila na parehas na nakapambahay ngayon, and thousands of fan fictions made years ago would resurface. 'Wag na lang. Masaya naman sila sa ganitong set-up.

Now that she's thinking about it, she had a trip back to memory lane. Iyong sinasabi nila four years ago na comfortable na sila sa isa't-isa? Hindi pa pala 'yun 'yon. Years ago, what they meant about being comfortable was saying real things and real jokes - like, literally anything - inside their heads. Kaswal na pagsandal-sandal, pagyakap-yakap, pag-akbay-akbay.

But today, being comfortable means living at ease next to each other. Iyon bang hindi na sya nag-aalala kung may muta ba nyang haharapin si Alden because the guy would just lean closer and remove gently whatever's in her eyes or nose. Hindi naman sya nagkakatulo-laway, but then... Maine knows now that being comfortable at twenty-five doesn't mean the same when you're twenty or twenty-one.

And being comfortable doesn't mean the same when you're in front of the camera.

Plus, she gets to sit on his back as he does his daily push-ups. Minsan, hindi nga lang sya naka-upo. Nakahiga pa sa likuran ni Alden, having her arms wrapped around his middle.

Minsan gusto nya na talagang magpost. Techy age, she'll reason out, and the principle would be these: Screenshots or it never happened. Pictures or it never took place.

Lumabas na rin ang binata, na parang walang nagbago - still looking like a runway model in house clothes. "Ang daya mo," she told him. "Bakit ang gwapo mo pa rin kahit nakapambahay?"

Naupo ito sa tabi nya, nakangiti. "Kailan ka pa naging bolera?"

"Since you bribed me with strawberries?" As he made himself comfortable, she squeezed herself next to him, having him wrap his free arm around her thin frame. His hand slid from her bare shoulders as she wore a white sleeveless shirt, and stopped at her wrist.