behind the scenes

A/N: Do not read. Do not read. Just a bonus chapter. This is a warning. Only for the brave ones. Optional ang pagbasa. Okay lang na hindi. Thank you sa lahat. I'm going to release those one-shots again in a separate story, now up in my profile entitled What If Love Knocked Differently. Police line do not cross x

Ps. Play Love Will Lead You Back by Taylor Dayne. One of my favorites!

--

"What's your name, if I may ask?"

"Nicomaine, but Maine, actually. You can call me that."

"Pretty name for a beautiful woman."

"You? What about you - oh, wait. Kilala kita! I must have seen
your face somewhere here when I arrived. You must be -"

"Richard," he smiled. "I am Richard."

x

I knew I loved you before I met you -

- I have been waiting all my life.

x

"I got married," she had told him, in his car, when he volunteered to take her home. It felt like thousand of needles pierced his back, his head, and his heart. He had expected for the worst, though. "Parang ang dami-daming nagbago sa akin, Alden," parang sasabog ang puso nya sa paraan ng pagtawag ni Maine. "Parang, ako pa rin 'to, but you know, a lot had changed."

"Like?"

"Like I know when to give up and when to let go," she answered simply, and smiled at him brightly. Like she had actually shooed all the pain away within those four years of being away from him, like she had actually forgotten everything they have shared. "I know now when to choose myself."

Ayaw man nyang tanungin, he ended up doing that because he... cares. "What was he like?"

Her face suddenly brightened up. Ganoon na ba talaga ang epekto ng... asawa nito sa kanya?

Asawa. His grip tightened on the steering wheel, and his hands felt cold.

You were supposed to refer to me.

I was supposed to be that one you tell people about with that smile on your face.

"My husband?" She asked rhetorically, smiling. "He was... nice. Very, very nice. Filipino rin sya eh, you know? But not once did he treat me like I am Maine Mendoza, the celebrity. I am Maine, who worked for a local diner and served them simply. You hear my accent, 'no?" She laughed. "I arrived yesterday, hindi ako naka-oo agad kay Pat, dahil baka umasa lang sila or magbigay sila ng hint na darating ako. I wasn't sure if I'd arrive on time, so sabi ko, hindi na lang. Did you wait for me?"

There's no point in lying. "Yes," he answered. "I did wait for you."

For four years now.

"It feels good to see your face din, after years. Ang pogi mo pa rin, ha, in fairness," she giggled. "But then, my husband - his name's Jacob, gwapo rin sya. Syempre, asawa ko 'yun, eh, and somehow... he found me in the darkest part of my life. We met, six months after I fled from the Philippines, when I'm trying to live a simple life. Ang sarap-sarap pala ng pakiramdam, alam mo 'yun? There, people just passed by me as I walk. Time didn't stop to stare at me and they didn't give a damn about how I do. I could trip because of my heels and no one would bring me up from my knees but me. Ako lang."