4. Big Day

© Kelly Faulk 2013

Chapter 4:  Big Day

Things had settled down after a couple days between Tríka and Nuke.  They both wanted to have their weddings in May, so we sat down to talk about it and agreed that Nuke was going to have his the first weekend in May.  Mine and Tríka’s wedding was going to be two weeks later; we had to give them time for their honeymoon.  Tríka had quit her job a few days after her birthday so she could go dress shopping with her mom when she came home from school.  She also wanted to focus on planning the two weddings.

Naturally, her friends were happy for her, and envious of her ring.  They helped plan our wedding, too, so I had to spend time around them.  Her friends were glad that she was marrying me, and often wished out loud that they would be next to go down the aisle.  Then, Tríka was at a dilemma of who should be her maid of honor.  I told her to go with the one she’s known the longest, which would be Mitcha.  She was actually the only one of the three I could tolerate.

I, on the other hand, only had Nuke as my option to stand with me.  That’s what happens when you live the life of a tyrant.  Oh well.

Tríka, Nuke, and I celebrated her first Rage birthday in secret a few weeks later.  We took her out to dinner, with Angie in tow.  The two girls talked about wedding stuff while Nuke and I acted like we knew what they were talking about.

Tríka had no idea what to get me for my birthday when it came around.  I kept telling her to not get me anything, but she wouldn’t take no for an answer.  She had finally given up a few days before February, and made me pancakes for breakfast and a combination of my favorite foods for dinner.  We also had a night similar to her actual birthday, holding each other close while we lay in her bed.  She had taken to wearing to bed whatever shirt I wore that day.  So yet again, she was wearing my snug button-up shirt that night.

She told me that she picked out her wedding dress in March.  I couldn’t see it until May because of the superstition, so they kept it in her mother’s closet.  She sent out wedding invitations to her family shortly after, and I sent out special invitations to the Court.  A normal Rage wedding took place in the air, but since Tríka’s family was human, we couldn’t do that; we hand wrote “human” on the inside of all the Rage invitations.  Some of them had to change a lot of their features—like the Deaths—so they looked human.  Her mother had found a spot on the opposite side of town that would be able to hold everyone invited, and hired a catering company to set up the empty field as if we were in a church.

Tríka tried to visit Moonlight Night as often as she could.  The excuse she gave her parents had to do with the cake or something along those lines, so they didn’t think about it.  While she was there, she learned how to ride bareback before she flew her.  And when she wasn’t doing that, she was figuring out ways she could remodel one of the savannah rooms into two bedrooms and one bathroom.  A two bedroom, one bath house wasn’t good if we wanted a family and for her parents to visit.

She was so happy when she talked about having a family with me later on, and I was content to see her this way.  She smiled constantly, even in her sleep.  It made me more eager to marry her.

But that brought on fears about children.  I had no idea if I was going to turn out like my dad, and I kind of didn’t want to find out.  And I couldn’t tell how much Tríka wanted to have a baby because she didn’t talk about it that much.  She mentioned it a few times, but she never went into specifics about children, actually avoided the topic and wouldn’t look at me as she tried to change the conversation.  I was a little worried about her behavior, but didn’t ask.  She probably thought she was too young to have children.

With Tríka acting the way she was, I had no one I could talk to about my fears apart from Wica and Will.  They knew how my father was before and after I was born, so they could have given me some insight to what my future could be like.  But I didn’t ask them.  I just let the thoughts battle themselves in my head and put on a façade when I wasn’t alone.  It was the only thing I could do while we planned the wedding and made plans for the house in the mountains.