Chapter 1 - Collision

Chapter 1: COLLISION

There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart…pursue them. ~Michael Nolan

As he entered the crowded club, he felt this rush of nostalgia. It had been a couple of years since he had seen his colleagues. The guys who had arranged this whole get-together had done a good job selecting the club. Everybody seemed to be having a good time. He surely had missed all this. He had done Mechanical Engineering in India. As soon as college had gotten over he had left for his post-graduation in Machine Design to the UK. He had been there for over two years. Now he was back in India before he had to go in a year. He had worked there for 7 months after completing 18 months of his post-graduation course. He was sent to do research for a product his company was introducing in the Indian market. He worked in the Design department of Mercedes Benz. The company had asked him to stay in India for a year before he had to get back. As he located his friends on the far off corner, he started making his way across the dance floor.

The floor was really crowded and he ended up colliding with this girl in a black skin tight jeans and a maroon ruffled sleeveless top. He looked up to apologise when he realised she wasn’t in the slight affected. And then he saw her. Her hair was otherwise straight but she had curled them up slightly in the end and they fell perfectly on her shoulders. She was truly enjoying herself. She was so caught up in chatting and in dancing that she hadn’t even noticed the collision. He kept walking ahead to his table. He had had difficulty in taking his eyes of her. As his friends called out to him, he momentarily forgot about her. They all started chatting up.

Barely five minutes had passed and he found his mind wandering to the girl in red. She was really pretty in an un-obvious kind of way. If it hadn’t been for the collision he probably wouldn’t even have noticed her. He knew that her smile and enthusiasm had caught him.

“Earth to Ahaan”, Siddharth said.

Ahaan and Siddharth had been best of friends since the first year of junior college. They had met through some common friends and hit it off real well. They had even got the same branch in senior college. Siddharth now worked in Mahindra.

“What is up with you?” asked Siddharth. “Why are you so distracted?”

Ahaan looked up and said, “Not at all. I’m good. So what were you guys up to before I came?”

All the guys on the table were about to get some drinks and asked Ahaan if he wanted any.

“No, I’m good”, he said.

“That seems to be your patent answer tonight”, said Siddharth.

After all the guys left to get the drinks, Siddharth looked at Ahaan who was searching the dance floor and asked him, “Who is this girl whose suddenly got your attention?”

Ahaan said, “The one in red. She was here when I came and now seems to have disappeared. Who was she man?”

Siddharth smiled and said, “Dude she’s got you bad. I have never seen you like this before.”

All the guys came back till then. They were snickering and laughing. One of them named Rahul looked at Ahaan and said, “Dude, your biggest fan is here.”

Ahaan was confused and asked, “And who would that be?”

Rahul who was the jerk in the group, said, “That girl in red at the bar. She’s Kavya Bhagwat. She was in my department. And I still remember her drooling over you back in the first year. Don’t tell me you don’t remember her. We shared the same subjects that year. And she had this huge crush on you. She didn’t give up on you even after a year. Finally I guess seeing you with Isha, she gave up. But her friends were teasing her with you for a couple of years and she had it big for you.”

Ahaan asked,”We had the same subjects?”

This girl had piqued his interests. She was the same girl who had collided with him. What were his chances that she had to like him back then? It kind of had made approaching her an easy job. He looked up and smirked.

He said, “Maybe I’ll fulfill her longtime wish. Let me ask her out.” Winking at the guys he left the table.