Chapter 12 - Telling The Parents

• Dedicated to Smruti Simpsonizer Pimplikar

To my lovely sister, Smruti you rock gal!! Love you loads!! :D :D Also a big muaahh and thank you to my cousin Rucha for letting me borrow her awesome name.

Happy Reading to you guys!!

-Shruts

Chapter 12: TELLING THE PARENTS

Honesty is the best policy. ~Benjamin Franklin.

KAVYA’S POV:

It had been a couple of days since Aliya’s date. She had had a blast. Rohan had taken her to a candle lit dinner. He had apologised a million times too. Listening to her recount her date the next morning had been fun. She sounded so happy. I was elated for her. 

I was making my way to lunch at a nearby café. Ahaan was to meet me there. As I approached the café, I got a call. I checked my mobile screen to see it was my mother. Guilt washed over me. I was dating Ahaan for 5 months and I hadn’t told my mom. She might have guessed if I would have been home now. But since I used to meet her for some weekends only she still hadn’t pinned me down. I had never been close to my dad. So the job of telling him would be done by my mom or my sister. But for that to happen, I had to tell my mom. I had a feeling my sister, Avni already had a clue. I used to be on the phone at night and she had a hunch. She had thrown me dirty looks for every weekend I had been home. She knew me well.

I took the call. We had a general chat on what was going on in life. I decided I would tell her that night finally. I told her I had work to do and hung up. Ahaan was waiting for me. I went over and gave him a hug before we sat down.

We both ordered sandwiches. He was updating me about his weekend. He had gone back home and his dad had caught him talking with me at about 3 in the night. He was out in the courtyard and laughing loudly. The next day the entire family had come to know. Their family was very close-knit. Apparently his mother had called up his sister in the US and told her too. I laughed at his narration.

“My sister wants to meet you now. She’s coming to India soon. Apparently, I have never been this committed. You should have seen my mom when I told her we were dating for about 5 months. She dropped her cup,” he said shaking his head. I just smiled at that imagination.

“And what’s funny is that none of them was angry. They were just very happy. And now whenever I go home I have to take you too or I can’t enter the house. You are my ticket to my house.”I giggled.

His family seemed so much fun. Especially, his sister, Rucha. She had married a year earlier and left at the same time. I knew he missed having her around.

An hour had passed by now and both of us had to get back to work. I kissed him goodbye and took a cab. His entire recounting had made me realise what a fool I had been. As soon as I reached home, I called my mother up and told her everything. She wasn’t very happy with me and she shouldn’t have been. I had always told her everything that was happening in my life. And this was a huge deal. Finally after apologizing quite a few times she mellowed. She had to go, so she hung up after a while. Feeling that a huge burden had been lifted off my chest, I went to make dinner.

Right before I went to sleep I got a message from my sister. 

From Avni –

I knew there was a guy. I can kick you for not telling me but won’t coz mom is going to give you a very hard time anyways. She has asked me to come over there and chaperone you and since it’s my vacation I’m coming :) leaving Friday afternoon. Cya sis. GN.

I groaned. My mom had her methods; though the idea of spending the weekend with my 19 year old sister was kind of fun. In honour of her arrival, I decided to throw a small party at my apartment. Vidhi was out for the whole week so the house was free. And Avni would be in Vidhi’s room. I invited Aliya, Rohan, Rahul, Siddharth and of course Ahaan. I picked my sister after work on Friday evening and came back home. That evening we chatted like long lost pals. We gossiped about our family. We called up all our cousins and video-chatted with them. We were acting crazy. I guess we were acting like sisters. We were having the party tomorrow evening. I ended up telling her about Ahaan and she told me everybody’s reactions back home. They were happy for me but nobody had liked the secrecy. I knew I had screwed up.

“So you love him?” Avni asked.

“No,” I said a bit strongly.

“Ya right, “she said. “It’s written all over your face.”

I just punched her in the arm. We talked some more and after yawning incessantly we went to sleep.