Bonus chapter #5 - Just A Friend

16th of April, 1994
Brooklyn is 28, Janet is 27, and Michael is 35

Brooklyn: I felt so relieved being away from Michael. I finally had a good night sleep without feeling like shit.

"Someone's looking extremely happy today." Chris commented when we sat down for breakfast.

"I'm feeling a bit better." I said.

"I'm glad, sis." he smiled.

We started digging into our food, but then the phone rang.

"Daddy can I answer?" Jason asked.

Chris nodded, "Go ahead, buddy."

My nephew got off his chair and ran to pick up the phone.

"Pancakes, anyone?" Cynthia walked into the dining room with a plate full of pancakes.

"Yes, please." I said, licking my lips.

"Uncle Mike! I missed you!" I heard Jason exclaim.

I flinched at the thought of Michael finding out that I left. I knew he'd be furious.

Jason looked at me and then back at the phone. "Yeah, she's here... Okay, uncle Mike... Love you too!"

"Auntie Brooke, he wants to talk to you." he held it out for me.

"Tell him to call again in a minute. I'll take it in my room." I told him.

My nephew nodded, talked to Michael for another few moments, and hung up.

I stood, "I'll go talk to him. Excuse me."

I ran up to the guest room, waiting for Michael to call. He soon did, and I took a deep breath before answering.

"HOW DARE YOU LEAVE LIKE THAT?!" he yelled, piercing my ear.

"Michael..." I sighed heavily. "I had to. I couldn't fight you anymore."

"So you leave?! Is that the best solution you could find?! And without even thinking of telling me! You got some nerve, you know that, Brooke?"

He's talking to me like I'm a little child. Who does he thing he is, trying to control me like that?

"I owe you nothing, Michael. Especially not after the way you've been treating me." I mumbled, but he definitely heard because he started cursing under his breath.

"Wow. The way I've been treating you?! What about the way you've treated Janet for the past month, huh?"

"Why do you always have to bring her into this? I'm talking about the way you don't even support me when I'm feeling like shit after losing your baby! On top of that, I have to find out Janet got pregnant, and her baby is healthy, and beautifully growing. And you making me feel like complete shit every day didn't make it better, either!"

I sniffled as the tears threatened to escape, "I know neither of us will be agreeing anytime soon... I'm suggesting that we take a break."

It was better for us. He wanted to be with Janet, and I needed time alone to get my head straight.

"Call me when you're ready to really talk." I said.