Chapter 8 - Surprises

17th of April, 1986
Brooklyn is 20, Janet is 19, Michael is 27

Janet: "...For other news: Janet Jackson and best friend Brooklyn soon-to-be Jackson were seen out shopping for wedding dresses." Brooke read out of a magazine, "Oh, look, Jan. You're so cute!"

I rolled my eyes, snatching it away from her. "It's trash, you know that."

"Yeah, yeah. But I liked the 'soon-to-be Jackson'." she smiled.

"If we're already into the wedding talk again, did you and Michael decide on date already?" I asked.

They always say they have to decide, but they keep avoiding it. It's getting on my nerves, really.

"We might have. Oh! I forgot to tell you! Mike is taking me to see some houses today." Brooklyn said, trying to change the subject. Yeah, like she can get away from me.

"Come on, Brooke! You have a date and you don't tell me? It's my right to know as your best friend and your future sister-in-law!"

"I'm keeping my mouth shut. You're gonna tell everyone."

"Okay, then. I'll just have to show Michael a picture of that wonderful dress we saw the other day." I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"You're so annoying." she mumbled.

"Pretty please." I whispered. I could see that I was getting on her nerves, but I enjoyed it. I'll get that date out of her.

"Okay, fine! July 8th, are you happy?"

I squealed and hugged her. "It's so far away."

"Blame it on your brother. He has too much going on for the next two months." my best friend frowned.

The phone rang through the house, and Brooke picked it up. "...Thirty minutes?... Good. I love you, too."

"Michael?" I asked when she returned to sit next to me. She nodded, "He'll be here in thirty minutes."

"Great. Thirty full minutes of getting more information out of you." I smiled.

~

Michael: I heard laughter from inside the house, and I smiled to myself. I loved seeing those two having fun together.

I knocked on the door, and soon it was opened by my smiling sister, "So, July 8th?"

"You told her?" I asked Brooklyn.

"She got it out of me. I'm sorry, Mike. She's evil, you know that." my fiancée said.

"I'll just pretend I didn't hear that." Janet mumbled, picking up her purse.

Janet quickly got into the car, while Brooke locked the door.

"Isn't your dad home?"

"No, he had somewhere to go. Probably something to do with work."

Brooklyn slid in next to my sister, and I followed. The car took off almost immediately.

"Can I join you today?" Janet asked.

"Janet, you know we would've let you any other time. But, this is something we need to do alone." I answered, hoping she would understand.

She nodded, and I smiled at her.

"Next time we do something wedding related, you're the first person we invite." Brooke promised.

We soon got to my parents' house, and we had to say goodbye to Janet.