Chapter 7 - Happy Birthday, Brooke

4th of January, 1986
Brooklyn is 20, Janet is 19, Michael is 27

Michael: "I got the cake!" Chris yelled as he came through the front door.

I was at Brooke's house, orginizing her birthday party along with Joshua, Chris, and Cynthia.

Janet took her shopping for a while until we got everything ready.

"Great, that's great. Put it in the fridge, please." Cynthia mumbled to him. She was hanging up some decorations.

"Do you need help with that? That looks a bit high." I asked her.

"I know I'm short, Michael. Don't rub it in." she said.

I chuckled and backed away.

"Mike, can I have a hand here?" Chris called from the kitchen. I sighed, going over there to help him.

~

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, dear Brooklyn. Happy birthday to you!" Everyone sang.

"Oh my God. This is amazing. Thank you, all of you." Brooke said.

She was grinning from ear to ear, greeting all of the guests.

Her father and her brother were here, of course. My own mother came, bringing my two older sisters and Randy. There were a lot of people I didn't know.

"Uh, excuse me." someone said from behind me. I turned around, and an unknown man was facing me.

"Michael, right? I'm Ross." he held out his hand. Ross. Brooke's ex. I shook his hand, smiling lightly.

"You're Brooke's ex boyfriend, aren't you?" I asked. He nodded.

"I just wanted to meet you. She looks so... Happy," he said, "Hold on to her, okay?"

"I'm planning on that." I mumbled. I put my hand in my right pocket, feeling the little box.

"Are you proposing?"

"Trying to. I still haven't found a way." I admitted. I could feel myself getting a bit hotter.

"Do it today." Ross said. I raised my eyebrows, "Today?"

"Yeah, today. Take her somewhere private, and ask her. She'll say yes, no doubt about that. Plus, it's her birthday." he smiled kindly.

"Thank you." I said, shaking his hand once again.

~

Brooklyn: I laughed at another joke Janet told me. She's been doing it all evening.

"Boo."

We both jumped.

"Michael!" Janet yelled, hitting her brother on the shoulder, "Don't do that!"

Michael chuckled and rolled his eyes.

"Do you mind if I steal her for a few minutes?" he asked Janet.

"No, go ahead. I'm pretty sure she's tired of my jokes already." she smiled.

"Come on." he said and grabbed my hand. He lead me up the stairs and into my bedroom.

He closed the door behind us. I sat down on the bed as he went to my record collection.

Michael pulled out "Abbey Road" and put it in the player. "Something" started playing.

"Dance with me?" he offered his hand.

I nodded and took his hand. He put his other hand on my hip, pulling me closer.

"Since when do we slow dance?" I asked.