Chapter 80 - Discharge

26th of June, 2009
Brooklyn and Janet are 43

Brooklyn: "My brother, the legendary King of Pop, passed away on Thursday June 25th, 2009 at 2:26 PM. It is believed he suffered cardiac arrest in his home-"

Pictures of my house that was now a crime scene showed up on the screen as Jermaine's voice spoke.

I shut the TV off, hiding my face with the blanket. I was hoping to escape by watching something, but every channel was covering my husband's death.

This can't be real. I'm in a very bad dream that I can't wake up from.

I waited and waited for Michael to wake me up from this horrible dream, but he never came.

After I broke down yesterday, Janet and Jermaine took me to my dad's and we picked up the kids, then went straight to Janet's and Wissam's. We've been here since yesterday.

Everyone was crying. The tears poured out and never stopped.

My kids realized what happened before I could tell them. The minute they saw me they attacked me in a huge hug, and we all cried for what seemed like forever.

Last night they couldn't sleep, like the rest of us. My children crawled into my bed and asked to sleep together, because they didn't want to be alone.

I just lay there, next to them, thinking about the previous day.

Now I was drowning in my own tears, after telling everyone I wanted to be alone. I couldn't face my family because I felt so responsible. All of them were crying over Michael. The guilt was eating me alive.

So there I was, alone in a dark room. And I was alone, until the baby inside me started kicking, reminding me he was still here.

I wanted him to stop. I didn't want to think about him or what's going to happen to him.

I didn't understand why God decided to keep him and not Michael.

I have nothing with this baby. I'd rather let him die and get Michael back. I need Michael.

"Brooklyn, I need you to open the door." Jermaine said.

He sighed when I didn't answer, and knocked slightly.

"Please. You can't be in there all day."

"Jermaine, I just want to be alone. I'm begging you, let me be alone." I sniffled, wiping my fresh tears.

"There's someone here to see you..." my brother-in-law tried convincing me.

"I don't need anymore pity." I mumbled.

Jermaine attempted to open the door again, but with no luck. "He's here to help you, babe."

I swallowed hard, and got up. Looking down at myself, I felt so disgusted.

I unlocked the door, instantly blinded by the light.

Jermaine's eyes filled with sadness when he saw me.

"Who's here?" I asked hoarsely.

"I'll call him up only if you listen to me." Jermaine answered.

I closed my eyes, nodding.

"I need you to sign these."

Opening my eyes, I saw him reveal a pile of papers from behind his back.

"What are these?"

"Consent papers from UCLA Medical Center. They want to do an autopsy on Michael's-" he stopped himself before saying the last word.