Chapter 2

I jerked awake unharmed the next morning, my mind torn between the fear my magic was pulsing through me and the remnants of my dream. My skin was glowing and heart fluttering once again. The dream had come again although this time it was felt far more passionate and realistic than normal and had involved a rather cool lake. The after affect was the same though. The demanding hands and possessive mouth haunted my skin and there was a terrible hot yearning in the pit of my stomach. It was several minutes before I felt the sweet sensation fade away and it wasn't until then that my twitching magic was noticeable, my body aching from sleeping against the door.

It was still unhappy and swirled like a ball in my chest, more fearful than I had ever felt it, making me worry something worse than a bristled boar had sniffed me out. The moment I was dressed with my heavy boots on, I stepped outside cautiously, poker in hand, and discovered it hadn't come close to the house during the night. As I surveyed my home and tiny grounds, I found no signs of disturbance. It worried me. Small monsters found me easily. A bigger monster should have no problems at all yet it hadn't even come close to me, not even after hours of me being in one place. It was still out there, searching for me, but it hadn't come any closer. The threat still remained a fair distance away.

I locked the house and was rapidly hurrying across the fields. I had to tell Gabi and Otto about my upset magic. I slowed my pace as I grew closer to the town's border, my body tensing up and my gaze paling. The magic was getting more unnerved, indicating that the monster was close to the town. I breathed in heavily, soothing my fears, then strode onwards, trying my best to ignore the writhing magic.

I smiled weakly at Gabi when I entered her father's bakery, knowing the couple of waiting customers suddenly left because I had appeared. She glared at their backs and welcomed me warmly.

"Something you want?" She asked.

"No, I just needed to warn you." I said softly so no one could over hear, not that they could as there was hardly anyone in the shop.

Gabi's grin faltered. "Not another one." She groaned.

"This one's different, Gabi. I felt it last night and my magic isn't happy. It's scared." I whispered urgently.

She sobered and her eyes narrowed. "It's a bigger monster hunting you."

"That's why I'm warning you. I'll speak to Otto and let him know. Whatever it is, it can't seem to get close to my house at least. It had all night to come find me but it's not any closer."

Gabi bit her lip and grunted when her father's voice boomed from the bakery behind them, demanding why she was taking so long in gathering the fresh food. 

"I'll be coming in a moment, father!" She yelled then swiftly turned to me. "Go find Otto." 

I smiled in relief she wasn't brushing aside my warnings and turned to leave, only to be stopped by Gabi's hand snatching my own. 

"Keep yourself safe, Lyra."

I pressed her hand with my fingers then fled the bakery. I walked through the thin rain back to the entrance of the town where the guard towers stood and the thick iron gates were held aloft. Standing in the mud, watching a large cart roll its way in, was Otto. Tall and broad shouldered, Otto took much pride in his duty as the head of the Watch. He was one of the few people who liked and trusted me, even treating me as family. My father had been a close friend of his and, ever since his death, Otto had watched over me, keeping an extra eye out for any monsters, covering the space my father had in guarding me.

Otto raised his hand in welcome and his eyes wrinkled in warmth. 

"Lyra. Good to see you." He welcomed.