Chapter 84

I woke with a start, crying out when I was jumped on by two small bodies with excited squeals filling my ears.

"Wake up, Lyra!" Lorry sang.

"Breakfast is ready." Nanat announced.

"So get up!" Lorry urged, patting my cheek.

Then didn't stop harassing me until I was standing, my feet cold against the wooden floors. At some insistence from me, they went ahead, allowing me a moment to clean myself and dress before following.

Majority of the family was there. All the sisters were bickering and talking as they ate incredibly lumpy porriage and No-Tongue sat among them, glum as ever. Remus and Wilson were not present however, nor was Grigore. I felt him though, his song was nearby, he just hadn't woken yet. I wasn't sure whether or not I was happy about that. I wanted to see him, to be close to him, but facing him brought up memories of last night. Memories I wasn't sure how to feel about.

Promising Lorry I'd be with her as she called for me, I approached No-Tongue, gently tapping his shoulder when he didn't notice my approach. He looked at me inquisitively with his bright yellow eyes.

"Thank you for the help." I said gently.

He shrugged lightly once and waved me away dismissively, quietly saying he didn't need my thanks. Smiling at him, I retreated to Lorry, allowing her to pull out the chair she wanted me to sit in and shoved a spoon into my hands while Rhye offered the sugar, advising strongly I use it.

I ate quietly, listening to the girls talking and not really absorbing their words unless I heard my name and scrabbled to recall the question I'd just been asked. My attention was fixed onto Grigore, wondering why he wasn't awake yet. Was he unwell? I frowned, Grigore's reserves were strong currently, it would be impossible for him to get sick. But my worries were needless when the door opened and he fluidly stepped into the kitchen, imposing as always and dressed loosely, but his jaw was tight when he looked at me. Instantly I knew he was irritable. His gaze was hooded, his muscles knotted and his magic heavy and I felt frustration looming in him. No one other than No-Tongue seemed to notice though; the smaller Weaver glancing at Grigore curiously while the girls continued to talk.

Rhye shuffled along a space, allowing Grigore to settle beside me, and I watched as he rubbed the back of his neck, noting the tiredness in his stormy eyes.

"Did you sleep?" I asked, touching his arm, flushing when I felt the muscles tighten beneath my fingers.

His gaze snapped to me, burning with accusation. "No." He said stiffly. "Too much on my mind."

I tried to swallow the blush I felt staining my cheeks and quickly focused on my food as memories flashed; hot and pleasurable. Grigore however watched me for a moment, frustration still thick in him, before he ripped apart the bread Lynda offered. He didn't eat too much, just enough to stave off hunger, and then he was gone again, vanished deeper into the house.

Soon breakfast was over. As I helped Lynda clean, the house was alive with the noise of the girls preparing for the day. Much like yesterday, Lorry and Nanat constantly ran about the room naked, refusing to be dressed by an increasingly annoyed Jen, and the twins tried to help Rhye untangle her thick hair and tie it up in a fancy bun.

As I was putting the last of the plates away, Grigore slipped out of the lounge, his cloak covering him and Ursus at his hip. The irritation was clearly still there by the stern expression on his features and how he rubbed his jaw stiffly.

"I'll be out hunting again." He told me as he loomed over me, making me feel quiet small.

I gazed up at him, quietly realising I wasn't the only thing keeping him up last night. His irritation about Sorin's sudden vanishing trick was thick. "Good luck." I said.