Chapter 10

I was giddy. Finding the sword had definitely boosted my spirits. Yes, Grigore didn't want to let me help him at the moment, but I'd gain his trust. I'd support him. If I don't, then I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Staying here being hated by those in the town wasn't something I wanted for the rest of my life and I knew it wasn't long before another monster came, one that could navigate on land, and I would be eaten. I could go with another Weaver, pairs came through town now and then, but something inside recoiled at the thought, shrivelling with misery. It had to be Grigore.

I shifted my weight impatiently. I had been standing on the main road for a long time now. As soon as I had found the sword I ran to town, standing a little out of the way of the gatehouse, hood tight over my head with determination not to be spotted. I remembered David's warnings. I wasn't allowed in town, not with how highly strung the atmosphere was. So I hovered on the road, the one I knew Gabi would use, while I waited for her return.

Gabi didn't appear until dusk. The sun was setting and the sky was darkening, crows and blackbirds began to make themselves known in droves, crying and signing madly. Lights began burn within houses and the road leading to my hut was turning black. She came walking slowly out of the town, holding a lantern in front of her, cautious of the rain and the monster's song. I waited until she had moved a little way away from the town before rushing up to her. She froze for a moment, alert as she failed to recognise me, then sighed in irritation.

"Lyra, what are you doing so close to town?" Gabi demanded then raised her eyebrows in shock when she noticed my cold red nose and wet cloak. "And how long have you be standing out here in the rain for?"

I ignored her questions and grabbed her free hand, squeezing it with excitement. 

"I found it, Gabi."

"You what?"

"I found Grigore's sword."

Gabi simply gaped for a moment before her brain finally grasped what I had said. 

"What? How could you find it? You said it was at the bottom of the river."

"It is, which will make getting it hard, but at least I know where is it."

"Exactly?"

I nodded and she looked even more bewildered. Gently. I tugged her to walk again as the rain began to thicken.

"I can smell Grigore's magic. His sword is covered in his scent. It congregates at a certain point in the river."

"You can sniff him out? Like a dog?" Gabi echoed, wrinkling her nose.

I frowned, not liking the comparison but I ignored it. 

"Yes."

Gabi tilted her head, giving me a curious look. " What does he smell like?"

"It's more like a taste." I mumbled, abruptly turning a little pink.

"Sounds a bit personal."

"It is." I fell silent, hoping to drop the subject, but Gabi stared, waiting for my answer patently. I sighed sharply. "He tastes like honeyed milk and smells like woodsmoke and winter."

Gabi smiled, her eyes glittering teasingly. 

"Sounds pleasant." 

I flushed a darker shade, silently agreeing eagerly that it was, but she thankfully dropped it and didn't press me further into embarrassment. 

"Well, we know where the sword is but what are we going to do to get it?"

My frown deepened. That was going to be harder. And very dangerous. I thought hard as we made our way home, although my thoughts were interrupted by thickening deluge. I had to run then with Gabi sticking close to my side. When the lantern's thin light shone onto my house, I cried out with relief and tried to still my shaking hands when unlocking the old door.