Chapter 94

I woke with a snap, sucking in musty air that tasted heavy of moss, mildew and old wood. I knew that smell. I had smelt it before.

My eyes flew open and my body was moving instinctively, hauling myself to my feet as gloom met me. I looked about frantically. There were barrels and wooden boxes, long left abandon to rot, brick and mortar surrounding me with a door of metal arching ahead. I was about to march towards it, determined to find a way out, confused how I got here in the first place until I spied Remus.

He was hunkered down, bottle in hand, his face crumpled with pain. He was looming over something. A body. A blanket covered it, stained with patches of congealing blood, and dark black hair spilled from beneath.

I paused, my heart stuttering at the sight, and the blind panic receded. I knew where I was now and I knew what had happened. I was beneath the city, in the canals of spring water, and I numb dread began to creep.

Hesitantly, I crept towards him, kneeling the opposite side of the body. Remus didn't move once. His drunk-hazed eyes were fixed on nothing and full of nothing.

Gently I pulled the tip of the blanket, unveiling a face I knew well and had been expecting. It was Rhye. Her face was so hollow and pasty, like she'd been dead for a while, starved of food, her face caked in old brown blood. I touched her cheek only to reel back in horror when her head rolled away a little, detaching itself from her neck.

"She was turned." Remus said dumbly and raised the light, letting it reveal another couple of bodies. "She was weak and pained when I found her. The turning is always painful and normally they're kept in a lair. They don't have one so they leave the females lying around, almost randomly. That one you found in the burned church was a female turning." He turned away, taking the light with him and sending Rhye back into darkness. "She was dying, torn between Rhye and that monster, crying and feeding from that corpse at the same time. It was horrific and I didn't want her to be in pain anymore. So, I slew her."

I swallowed thickly and got up onto my shaking feet. He killed his own niece. "Remus."

"But I'll protect what family I have left. I have my brother, Lynda and three nieces. I won't lose any more." He turned to me. "Come here. Time for you to help me."

"Remus, I told you I need Grigore with me. We work together and I promised him to stay safe for now."

But Remus wasn't listening to me. He snatched up my wrist, his hands so big against mine, his bear-like body easily hauled me to my feet as he stepped over Rhye's corpse.

"Is Grigore coming?"

I tugged at the thread, breathing in relief that he was. Fury was bubbling in him, tinged with relief when he felt my caress. He knew I was in danger.

"Yes."

"Then I don't have long." Remus held my arm up and yanked his hunting knife free. I went cold. "In that pack is your blade and bow. I've not come here without giving you the means to defend yourself."

He pressed the sharp edge against my palm, its terrible cold biting me, nicking some blood free.

"Remus. What are you doing?" I demanded fretfully. I looked up at him and only then noticed how black his eyes were, full of anger and loathing, the alcohol dulling all other senses.

"Getting you to help me." He said calmly. "I've lost much Lyra. I've lost No-Tongue. My brother and partner. I've had to slay Rhye and I'll be killing Olive and Mary too shortly."

"Wait for Grigore, Remus. You'll stand a better chance."

I'd stand a better chance, I thought frantically.