Chapter 91

I charged out of the room, fully dressed with Hild strapped to my waist and seeking out my boots hurriedly. Wilson, who had fallen asleep in a drunken state at the table, woke sharply.

"What's going on?" He demanded groggily as he pushed away the haze of sleep and alcohol.

"I know where Nanat is." I said urgently as I pulled on my boots hurriedly.

This instantly got his attention. "How?"

"My magic. It's found her but I don't have much time to get to her."

Wilson bundled out of the door without another word. The wind howled outside and snow swept in the warm kitchen as Wilson bellowed up at the roof. No-Tongue instantly dropped to his side, silent and snow covered.

"Speak with Lyra." Wilson urged roughly as he pushed No-Tongue inside.

The Weaver's eyes were bright with curiosity and his torn mouth was turned in a frown as he stared at my flustered face.

"My magic senses something." I knew I had his attention now. His head tilted a little, letting some of his thin black hair fall over his face. "I had a premonition. Nanat's going to be either turned or killed, I'm not sure which."

"Either isn't good." Wilson growled.

"But my magic senses something. I think it's holding onto Nanat from the dream. It's trying to pull me to her but I don't have Grigore here and I can't go alone."

No-Tongue gave me a hard look and nodded firmly. He held out his hand to me, waiting for me to grip it. When I did he pulled me up sharply and grabbed my cloak from the hook, thrusting it in my hand roughly. My face lit up. He was going to help.

"Lyra, you come back unharmed and run if you get in trouble. No-Tongue, I'll keep the family safe and inside." Wilson promised as he clamped a thick hand on No-Tongue's shoulder. "Bring Nanat back."

"Will you be safe?"

"Right now, I don't care. Get Nanat. Lynda and I will hold down the fort." He glanced at No-Tongue. "Shut the house down. Lock it so no one can get in or out."

No-Tongue simply stared at Wilson, eyes flashing in understanding, before he turned and dragged me out into the snow. My face tingled from the sudden chill and my eyes stung from the cold and wind. No-Tongue shut the door hard behind himself and wove, wheeling a ward over the wood. All at once, the house shut down with a heavy thud, steeling with defences. It made me a little more comfortable about taking No-Tongue.

He was quickly pushing me ahead of him, urging me to guide him. I did as I was bid without a word. I took off at a run down the road with No-Tongue close beside me, trailing after me like a second shadow. I let my magic grope for Grigore, chirping to him fearfully. I hoped he found me quickly. I needed him. As much as I trusted No-Tongue, Grigore was the only man who could make me feel safe.

The snow was thick and clawed at my feet, slowing me down as I drew through the market. It was here the feeling changed. The pull deepened, suddenly snatching at me heavily.

"I think it goes down." I murmured uncertainly as I slowed to a trot, gazing about the empty stands, tiny lamps and twisted tree.

No-Tongue reacted instantly. He guided me towards the tree that towered over the square and dropped to his knees. I watched curiously as he swept away the snow hurriedly to reveal an iron cover. He pushed his fingers beneath a tiny handle and wrenched it away, letting a cloud of dust fly away in the wind and revealing a passage beneath the city.

I remembered the dream then. How dank it had smelt, how dark it had been and how the water had rushed by.

"She's in the canals." I muttered.