Chapter 96

We returned to find everyone safe and the house unharmed, still standing and quiet in the cold night. Wilson took charge of Remus, guiding him upstairs to hear his account and get him cleaned and rested. Grigore was too irritable to enter the house, too on edge, and swiftly left to patrol the moment he parted from me. He wouldn't at first; he just kept kissing me, pressing me against the wall of the house in the snow, his song strong on my tongue and my body growing hot and incredibly aware of his. I could feel his desire for me, bright and hungry, and it wasn't until he was truly frustrated that he forced himself to part from me, gazing at my pink face and swollen mouth with need.

"I'll patrol, make sure we're safe, then I'll be back for you." He vowed lowly, nipping at my lower lip, before pushing himself away reluctantly and striding off down the dark street, leaving me feeling flustered and hot.

I slipped inside, swiftly finding the bath to cool down and clean myself, scrubbing away the dirt and lines of blood left behind by Remus' knife until my skin was raw. At first the blood took my thoughts, recalling how Remus cut down each vampire one after the other, how Mary hunted me down so happily, until I found a small mark on the swell of my breast. A love bite. Suddenly Grigore was back in my mind and how he'd loved me, how he kissed me so hungrily before he left, that he wanted me the moment he returned. I found my body responding, my magic beginning to sing for him, and I pressed the back of my hand over my mouth in a bid to calm myself. I needed to stop myself getting so excited at the thought of him, especially as I didn't even know if he loved me yet.

I dressed and checked the house was secure before I dove into Grigore's corner, wrapping myself up in his scent, breathing him in as I fell asleep, only to be woken a little while later.

I was stirred by my magic heating me, shimmering over my skin as something warm lay beside me, then I tasted him, that sweet song of his.

"Grigore?" I called out sleepily, stretching my body a little and pressing my face into the pillow I hugged.

He hummed in affirmation, his hand slipping to my hair to sweep it away from my neck, allowing him to press his hot mouth against my skin. I moaned softly at the pleasurable shiver that swam through me, making him laugh deeply.

"Is it safe?" I asked, trying to keep my head as his teeth nipped lovingly along my shoulder and his hand explored my exposed back.

"I'm not sure." He said, his voice growling about me with that wonderful accent of his. "But I found no obvious threats."

I was glad but still not fully reassured. It was the wolf who managed to evade detection, not the humans. He was the one who could melt away when it suited him.

I gasped when his mouth was pressed into the dip of my waist, his tongue stroking teasingly as his fingers slipped over the curve of my bottoms and slipped between my thighs. I felt that familiar ache growing as liquid fire began to pool, my body singing for him lustfully as he explored me languidly, parting kisses over my skin and drinking the magic shimmering through me. He was so gentle and loving as his mouth travelled along the line of my back, gliding back up to the nape of my neck as his song purred sensually. It made my heart swell.

"Are you still upset?"

"Upset doesn't come even close to what I felt, Lyra." He growled dangerously as a swell of his fury spilled into me. "If you had more than just cuts, if you had been seriously hurt or... worse, I don't think I could've controlled myself." He nipped my shoulder, taking a mouthful of magic as if to comfort himself I was safe and unharmed. "You're my life now, Lyra. Scarily so."

My eyes glimmered pink and gold, my heart thumping in my chest as love burned for him and I forced myself to take courage. "So, you love me?"

I felt curiosity stir in him and abruptly found myself surrounded; his strong arms circling me as he propped himself above me, his mouth brushing my ear teasingly and his strong chest warm against my back.