Chapter 81

I woke with some confusion, not sure why consciousness was stirring. At first I just lay in the large bed and listened, stuck between the two little girls who clung on to me as they slept quietly. At first all I could hear were the other sisters sleeping in the tiny room and the wind that had picked up outside but slowly I felt him; his song swelling and stained with frustration.

Intrigued, I slowly untangled myself from Nanat and Lorry, trying not to wake them, then trundled out of the dark room as quietly as possible. With my eyes glimmering with magic and enabling me to see in the night gloom, I opened the door, slipped passed several closed doors and down the crooked staircase that led me into the large kitchen. Once there, I followed the taste of honeyed milk into the lounge, finding Grigore.

He was alone and sat in the chair beside a dying fire, leaning forward with his shirt loose about him. He didn't notice my approach at all, instead he remained utterly focused on the small golden mist in his hand with dark irritated eyes. He was hunting Sorin again but it had never frustrated him like this. Frowning, I stepped forward, shivering a little from the chill air.

"Grigore? Is everything okay?" I asked softly as touched his hair softly.

He glanced at me, his gaze warming as he registered I was there beside him before he returned to scowl at the familiar mist and tiny ward within. At first Grigore didn't say anything and, for a moment, I was worried he was going to clam up once again. He answered me though, his voice low with annoyance.

"I can't find where Sorin went from here."

I knitted my brow. "You can't?"

"No. No memories can be found and no song. Nothing here can guide me."

"But he definitely came this way?"

"He did." Grigore crushed the ward in his hand then scattered the remnants as leaned back into the chair. "I think we're getting close. He's beginning to hide himself now."

My heart skipped a bit and my throat closed in panic. I didn't want us to be so close to Sorin. I still wasn't sure how I was to keep Grigore alive. "How close?"

Grigore shrugged. "Maybe a week, maybe a day, I'm not sure, but I need to scout out the city, see if he's left any wards littered around that would cover his scent and block magic from seeking him."

I shifted my weight in worry. "So we're stuck here." I guessed.

He sighed sharply and rubbed his stubbled jaw. "I don't know, but I won't outstay our welcome here if we are. If I can't find anything by tomorrow evening, I'll find an inn for us to stay."

I had enjoyed staying here so far and Remus' nieces were welcome in my life but he was right. The place was small with already too many people living in it, we would just clutter up more space, and the idea of having a bed again, to be close to him while I slept and wake with him surrounding me appealed to me more than it should.

I felt my body shiver again, the cold creeping over my skin. Grigore reached out for me, pressing a hand against the small of my back and pulling me closer. His expression was still stern but the irritation had softened.

"Go back to bed, Lyra."

I found myself shaking my head. I didn't like being so far from him. "I'll stay here for a bit. I'm too awake to sleep."

I did lie a little. My eyes were sore and my head muggy from lack of sleep, signs I'd drop off easily. I think he knew that as I saw an amused glint appear in his expression.

Gently he ushered me between his legs, snatching at his cloak to wrap me up, letting me curl up on the floor and rest my head against his thigh. When I shivered, he poked the fire and sent wards to flutter down to breathe life back into the dying flames. Now warming and fairly comfortable, I felt sleep hounding me again. I always did sleep better close to him now, I felt safer and my magic was always happy. Feeling such peace as sleep came to me, listening to Grigore hum deeply to himself as he toyed with magic, just made me more determined to keep him alive. I didn't want to lose this sense of belonging and comfort.