Chapter Twelve

CINDER

Two Days Later....day she's reuniting with Kai

Cinder yelped as Kinney barreled into her with two boxes hefted in his muscled arms. Iko went sprawling as soon as she hit Cinder's back, and a package full of silk shirts exploded. Cinder scrambled to her feet, raking the scene with her retinal scan, breathing hard.

"Oh my stars, everyone, hurry up! The podship's due here in twenty minutes!" Cinder gasped as she bent down to gather the box of tools. "Kinney, Iko, take care of all these boxes-April and the girls, will you arrange the dresses?" she yelled over her shoulder, flopping down onto her belly to reach a screwdriver stuck underneath a wooden cabinet.

Iko's eyes were changing rainbow-color fast. Sunny yellow, spring green, navy blue, then violet. "Cinder, Cinder where are your emergency comm units?"

Kinney grunted as he heaved two large boxes into his arms, staggering to the shaft. "Over there, in the box labeled 'COMMS'." Iko shrieked out a welcome as she lunged for the box, then collided into a wall of muscle. She bounced off at least three feet before crumpling to the ground once again.

Jacin stood peering down at the mayhem with a perplexed expression. "Seems like you all can't have order without me." he muttered, shaking his head. "Why doesn't this surprise me?"

Cinder glared at him as she rolled to her feet. "Why don't you come help rather than stand there like a statue?"

Someone else appeared behind Jacin, then came flying down the platform and threw herself onto Cinder. Cinder's mouth gaped in surprise before she wrapped her arms around her, "Winter!" Cinder said, muffled by the girl's thick curls.

"Cousin Selene! Are you already leaving?" Winter leaned back, staring at Cinder with her innocent eyes.

Kinney snickered behind Cinder, quickly retreating when he saw Jacin's direct glare.

 Cinder sighed, patting Winter's shoulder. "Yes, yes, I am."

Winter pouted, tilting her head. Strands of hair revealed the three gouged scars on her cheek. "Can I go with you? Oh, can I? Cousin Selene maybe when you get back we can visit..." the bright spark in her eyes faded. "Nevermind. I was um, talking about my other friend."

Cinder's expression softened. "It's alright. But no, I'm sorry, Winter. The arrangements have been made for only me to leave for the conference. I'll be back in three days, Winter," she added with an earnest smile.

"I'll be looking forward to it," Winter winked playfully then whispered in Cinder's hair. "Don't forget to say hi to your prince for me. Oh and Torin too!" Cinder laughed.

"Of course. Alrighty then," Cinder cleared her throat, stepping away from Winter, who gave her a knowing smirk. Cinder rolled her eyes playfully then turned to Jacin, and they both hugged each other-awkwardly.

"Well safe trip, Your Highness," Jacin rumbled as he stood back. Cinder nudged him with her shoulder.

"You could at least call me Cinder-you don't even know if I'm going to survive the trip to Earth!" Cinder argued, seemingly adamant on leaving without a warm-felt Jacin saying goodbye.

Jacin grumbled. "Actually, I am sure."

Winter shot him a look. Jacin sighed. He could not resist that girl's stares.

"Okay, okay, safe trip Cinder," Jacin finally said as he clapped her on the shoulder.

Cinder beamed at him and Winter, just as the platform lowered as a green beep resounded through the take-off room. Kinney and Cinder hugged just as Iko wedged herself inbetween them, and they shared an affectionate embrace (Cinder and Iko).