52

I kissed Jake's soft pink forehead and cradled him in my arms,
"Sorry," I looked up at the nanny that me and Toby had hired a few days earlier, "This will be the first time I've been apart from him for more than a couple of hours!"

"That's ok Mrs Cavanaugh," The nanny had a thick Spanish accent and I had struggled to understand her at first, "I know it can be hard,"

Hesitantly I handed her the baby,
"Take good care of him!" I smiled and grabbed my bags for work.

I walked through the doors at work half an hour later. Neil, my receptionist, wasn't sat behind the desk like usual. In his place sat a short woman wearing slightly too much blusher, her hair tied back in a curly pony tail that bounced even when she was sat still.

"Where's Neil?" I asked as I approached the desk, the woman looked up at me,
"I'm sorry but I'm not at liberty to divulge personal information about the staff working at this establishment," Her voice was sickly sweet and did not give the warm, safe impression that Neil's voice gave. Slightly shocked I moved closer to desk.

"My name is Spencer Cavanaugh," I said, masking my slight annoyance, "My name is on that office door and you seem to be my new receptionist. Now, where's Neil?"

"Oh."  The woman looked me up and down as if she couldn't believe that I was a qualified therapist, then carried on, "Well, Neil retired whilst you were on maternity leave. My name is Katie, I'll be your receptionist for the foreseeable future."

Great I thought. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but there was something about Katie that I didn't like.

I walked into my office and prepared myself for work. My first client that morning had struggled with drug addiction. People like that always brought back memories for me. But that's why I love my job, I know what it's like to be in a bad place and I love feeling like I can make a difference to people's lives.

That evening I stormed into the house ready to complain to Toby about my new receptionist. I called his name,

"We're upstairs," He shouted in reply. I put down my bags and walked upstairs. I heard voices coming from Poppy's room and poked my head round the door.

Inside, Jake was sleeping in a portable cot, wrapped in a soft blue blanket. Poppy was sitting on the edge of her bed and Toby was sat on the floor in front of her holding a small bottle of pink nail polish in one hand and painting her tiny toenails with the other.

"Masie told me that Thomas wanted me to be his girlfriend," Poppy was saying, "Do you think Thomas should be my boyfriend daddy?"

I felt a smile creeping across my face, and a warm feeling in my chest. I leant my head against the doorframe and watched them for a couple of minutes.

"Oh, hey Spence," Toby turned round and saw me as he put the lid back on the nail polish.

"Hey," I said,
"How was work?" He asked, then he stood up and kissed me gently. I don't think I'll ever get used to kissing Toby, every time I do it sends a spark of electricity right through me.
"It was great thanks," I smiled.

And in that moment I didn't even remember that I had a new receptionist or that I was unhappy about it.

I saw Toby and I saw Poppy and I saw Jake. And I was happy.