Prologue

A small figure was moving across the court swiftly, unaware of the people passing by. She was in her own world, oblivious to the rest of the crowd. For her, there were only the sound of her own footsteps and the bounces of the ball, along with her favorite sound of all - the swish of the net. In her world, it was,

Basketball, basketball, and nothing but basketball...

Even though her parents disagreed to it, she continued to love this sport. At the start, she had always doubted her love for it when her parents discouraged her and tried to make her give up on it but when it came to tough situations like that, her kind loving grandmother was always there to back her up. It was also her grandmother whom influenced her to play basketball. Her love for her grandmother was the only thing in the world that surpassed her love for basketball.

But a turn of events occurred in her second year of elementary. Her beloved grandmother ascended to heaven. As she held her wrinkled hand in her own smooth one, with tears flowing down her cheeks, she felt lost and hopeless... Her parents saw this as a chance to change her, making her play the piano and  replacing basketball with all the courtesy of a lady. Her courage for standing up for herself and all her hope were taken away from her the time her grandmother left. Basketball faded away too...

The once cheerful and lively child who gave it her all for everything has been replaced with a cold distant genius. She used to cry her heart out at night but then, she shut her feelings and emotions away in a jar, which she kept locked in her heart. It hurted, but she didn't care, wouldn't care because what's important to her was all gone. The little girl lost interest in everything.

Mizushima Ai is her name.