Chapter 21

Haizaki Shougo's POV

Bakemono... She... She is a monster. That Mizushima.

Her plays, only now did I realize how fearful they were. How foolish I had been. Sure enough, Mizushima Ai didn't have Aomine's superior agility, nor Murasakibara's monstrous power, nor Midorima's immense accuracy, nor Akashi's prodigious sense but her own weapon only she's able to use. She was light on her feet and her speed was faster than average but what made her intimidating was the root of her speed - her flexibility. 

Facing her on court, I couldn't help but wonder what was her body made out of. She was like a bird, fluttering across the court. Her movements flowed naturally, as if this all were an already planned out dance performance. It was as if she could read my moves. With a brain like hers, analyzing my moves wouldn't be impossible but it seemed like she detested that sort of basketball. Mizushima's basketball was very straightforward but unpredictable at the same time. She counters every obstacle that comes her way right on the spot, without planning anything beforehand. Her plays aren't strategical, they are natural. 

I fell on my knees, shocked. I couldn't get even one point, not a single point. I banged my fists on the ground, my knuckles bled, my muscles sore, my vision blurred. Translucent liquid dripped onto the back of my hands, mixing with the red, turning it into a dark shade of pink. A hand came into view, a tiny delicate hand with porcelain skin. My gaze fixated on her face. The same black hair, same ruby eyes. Fear overwhelmed me.

"I don't need your help." I grunted, not realizing how shaky I was until I heard my own voice which was bordering on a whine.

"Whatever you say." Mizushima turned away. "Just don't cause Kise-kun any more trouble." She stopped and delivered one last warning, her head twisted sideways, enough so I could see the glint in her orbs. She gave off a terrorizing vibe as if her whole presence was screaming "Danger danger danger", one which could be on par with Akashi's. Akashi when he's angry.

I scurried out of the gym, limping terribly. 

Kise Ryota's POV

Haizaki... Somehow I felt kind of sorry for him, even after he had humiliated me like that. To be beaten by Mizushicchi without even earning one point, it must have had a huge impact on him mentally. 

"Akashi-kun, how did I do?" Mizushicchi approached us, her beast like aura disappeared as soon as she stepped off the court. The dangerous glint in her eyes disappeared too. Her whole feature morphed into that cute little girl again. She was an ordinary girl but her shadow said something different, her shadow was that of a wild monster. Mizushicchi was a completely different person on court when she's serious. I don't think I have ever seen her this serious before, not even in official matches before. 

"Good but your heart softened again." Akashicchi informed her, tapping his pencil on his clipboard. 

"Yeah... What are you going to do?" Mizushicchi looked away, running a hand through her wet hair while a small sad smile crept up her face. She must feel bad for Haizaki too. When I noticed sweat dripping from her forehead, I grabbed the towel around my neck and gently wiped if off, my fingers brushing against her smooth soft skin. Her face turned tomato red and I felt mine heat up too after I realized what I was doing. 

I turned away, only to see Akashi staring at us in amusement. But then, I noticed another boy standing by the doorway, he had a bottle of water in his hand which was now leaking because he was gripping it too hard. 

"Aomine-kun?" Mizushicchi also saw him and called out. Aominecchi drew closer to us and tackled Mizushicchi in a hug, making the surprised girl yelp. 

"Aomine-kun! Let go!" She whined and slapped his arm playfully, pouting. He let go, revealing a Mizushicchi who was pink in the face. 

"I better not get involved in this. Catch you guys later." Akashicchi smirked at Aominecchi and I, waved and closed the door as he walked out. 

"I'll go too." Mizushcchi nodded a goodbye at both of us and rushed out of the door. 

"What was that Kise?" Aominecchi shot me a displeased look. "I was only helping her! No need to be so sour!" I defended myself. "Sour? Me? You gotta be kidding. Hahaha..." His laughter echoed around the gym as he covered his eyes using his right palm, tilting his head backwards. All of a sudden, he fell onto the floor, his laughter dying down. "Yeah... I was just jealous... I don't know why..." He admitted quietly, his voice barely a whisper.

"Do you like Mizushicchi?" I pushed, wanting to find out his true feelings for her.

"As a friend? Of course!" He glanced at me like I was a weirdo. "No no. I mean like like." I told him.

"What do you mean?!" Aominecchi scowled at me. "Fine, do you love her?" My breath hitched in my throat, afraid of the answer.

"Love Mizu? No. I only love basketball."