Chapter 13

Mizushima Ai's POV

Surprisingly, my dad did not come, he didn't even text me or call me. There was absolutely no sign of him until well, today.

Today was our first match at the Winter Championship Tournament.

We didn't have to play in the preliminaries since our school won the summer one. So basically, the Winter tournament is designed to determine the best team of the year and to take revenge on the winning team in Summer. 

I was being a bit more hyperactive than usual until I saw a familiar face - my dad.

"Otosan..." I mumbled, inhaling deeply.

"You are not allowed to play. Clear?"

The me before would have stuttered a "Crystal clear." but I've changed since meeting them...

"No. I'm definitely playing." I stood up for myself.

"You are not playing. I'll make you transfer if you play."

Even knowing he was 100% serious, I couldn't back down now.

"I am playing." I repeated.

"Do whatever you want." He told me. Oh no.

"Yes. She can do whatever she wants. If she wishes to stay in this school, she shall stay." Akashi-kun's voice said.

"Mizu loves basketball! Ask her!" Aomine-kun said, followed by Momo-chan. "Ai-chan has the right to make decisions for herself!" 

Midorima-kun nodded in agreement. "Well, they've already spoke my thoughts."

Even Murasakibara-kun stood up for me. "Ne~ Mizu-chin wants to play with us~" 

My dad didn't look convinced.

"Tell them to shut up, Ai." My dad commanded me.

"No! I love basketball! I don't want you to stop me from playing it! You told me that I will hate it. And I thought I did. But... But I just realized that what I actually hated was you and mother stopping me from playing the sport I love. I hate you!" I shot back, tears slipping down my cheeks.

My dad seemed stunned and then he lowered his head. "I'm sorry Ai... I didn't know." He muttered softly. "But I still don't want you to play such a violent sport." His eyes were pleading me to understand. I just shook my head.

"How about you just watch us play?" Kuroko-kun appeared out of nowhere again and cut in.

"Yah!" The rest of us shouted in unison. Aomine-kun patted Kuroko-kun on the back, making him tumble forwards.

Third Person's POV

As the match started, Mizushima's father sat in a seat at the front row with his arms folded. He was upset that his daughter wouldn't give up this one sport. Both he and the child's mother thought that this sport was not suited for a lady. They thought that in order for Mizushima to become a fine woman, she had to stick to the principles of a lady. 

Despite whatever activities they tried to use to entertain their daughter, she would always keep on her blank emotionless face. And of course as parents, they've also noticed that their beloved daughter smiled less and less until one day, her beautiful smile finally vanished. They knew they were at fault and it broke their hearts to see her in such a state.

After sending her to Teiko, they have been debating whether or not to let her continue basketball. And the day when her father visited her, he was delighted to see her smiling, even though he would never admit it, he wanted to let her play basketball, for one simple reason - to see her smile more often. They loved her and tried their best to make her perfect but ignored her happiness. Before they knew it, the parents and the child drifted further and further away. All of them started to mask their feelings.

Today, in the match, Mizushima's smile was so bright and ecstatic, he found himself smiling. He immediately knew the right decision. Mizushima's father recorded the match and sent the video to the child's mother. When the match ended, with Teiko winning 89-67, he got up and left. At home, the mother was crying. She felt guilty for not letting her daughter play basketball... She should have known. She had no right to call herself a mother and she knew Mizushima's father was thinking the same.

We allow you to play. Have fun. Don't forget to smile.

Mizushima received a text message later on that day and in an instant, she read all of her parent's thoughts. She smiled to herself before showing her friends the message. Together, they laughed, overjoyed for they finally cleared all obstacles which stood before Mizushima's love for basketball. 

As for Mizushima, this moment was engraved into her soul. 

The darkness which stood in front of her had been cracked, revealing a colorful world, the one she had missed so much.

Grandmother, I found the love I had for basketball once again...

The dark haired girl thought to herself, her magenta eyes radiating pure happiness.

***

@ Readers

This isn't the end just in case you were wondering.