Chapter 2

Kate sat down in the chair still holding Rick's hand unable to speak, this was her best friend they were talking about.

"Is he okay?" Rick asked looking at Gates.

"No word yet, all they said was he was being taken to the hospital."

"What about Car?" Kate asked looking up catching her mother's eye.

"One of the agents is bringing him here, Ryan insisted on going to the hospital." Gates said looking at both Rick and Kate.

"Lanie," Kate said quickly "She doesn't know"

"I'll call her" Rick said pulling out his phone he went into the bull pen.

"He'll be alright detective." Gates said sitting across from Kate.

"He was protecting Carson, if something happens to him I..."

"This isn't your fault." Johanna said Kate looked at her.

"He's my best friend and he was shot protecting my son, I know it's not my fault but, I love him and don't even want to think about something happening to him." Kate sighed.

"Alright I talked to Lanie and I just told her to come up, I didn't feel right telling her over the phone." Rick said Kate looked at him standing up.

"We'll leave you two" Johanna said as she and Gate's walked out closing the door behind them.

"Carson's like his mamma, strong and brave" Rick said making her smile softly.

"I still won't be able to breath till I have him in my arms and I don't have to let go." Kate said looking at her hands as they tangled with Ricks.

"Till then you can hold me" Rick said with a smirk, Kate smiled stepping closer to him laying her head on his chest. "I love you, remember that" He whispered kissing the top of her head.

"Always" She replied looking up at him slipping her arms around his neck.

"We get to see our little guy in a little while" He said excited, Kate smiled.

"I know, I can't wait to see him" Kate said glancing past Rick to see Lanie get off the elevator. "Lanie's here" She said her arms falling to her side.

They both walked out, Lanie didn't say anything as she walked towards them and neither did Kate. Reaching out Kate grabbed her into a hug neither woman saying anything. When they finally let go Lanie was the first one to talk.

"It's Javi isn't it." She asked Kate nodded holding back tears.

"He was shot, they took him to the hospital but we haven't heard anything yet on his condition" Kate said Lanie nodded closing her eyes.

"But Carson is okay?" She asked Kate nodded. "Good"

"If you like I can get someone to take you to the hospital." Gate's said, Lanie only nodded through the tears.

"He'll be okay sweetie" Kate said hugging Lanie again.

"I hope you're right" She said as an officer came to escort her.

"Keep me updated" Kate said Lanie nodded before walking away.

Kate felt Rick's hands on her back , turning she let him hold her there letting out a soft sigh.

"Have you told you're mother and Alexis?" Kate asked looking at him.

"No, Will you be alright if I go to the break room and call?" He asked Kate nodded letting him go.