Chapter 3

Almost a month had passed since Carson had been kidnapped and Johanna had come back into their lives. She and Kate had been staying in contact over the weeks and Johanna said she would soon be able to come back to New York. Kate stood in the kitchen on morning cutting fruit for breakfast while Rick fed Carson. There was a knock at the door and the looked at each other.

"Are you expecting someone?" Rick asked standing up.

"No" Kate said rinsing off her hands.

Rick got up going to get the door.

"Johanna" He said with a smile, Kate looked towards the door.

"What are you doing here? I didn't think you were going to be here till the weekend?" Kate asked walking over to the door.

"I came early, my stuff should be here this weekend but, I didn't want to spend to much time away when there's no reason for me to be there." Kate smiled.

"Why don't you come in, we're making breakfast." Rick said letting Johanna in.

"Thank you" She smiled coming inside. She looked around then to Kate who laughed.

"I know" She smiled reaching her arms out, Johanna smiled hugging her tightly. They stayed like that till Carson started to fuss from his chair.

"Never fails" Rick laughed.

"Yeah and you say he's not your son" Kate replied.

"I have no idea what you're talking about Kate" He smirked looking back at her while he got Carson from the high chair.

"Want some coffee?" Kate asked moving to the kitchen.

"I would love some" Johanna said going to the bar stool.

"So what did they say about you coming back?" Kate asked.

"I have to keep the name Harrison but I've basically retired, I also have to check in with the FBI agent every month. At this point I'll take what I can get."

"Have you talked to dad?" Kate handed her a coffee.

"Yeah, we have been almost every night, he's working or else I would be there. Why aren't you working?"

"Uhhh" Kate started looking at Rick. "I called in sick"

"You're not drinking coffee" Johanna said looking at Kate who shrugged.

"Cutting back" She smirked taking a sip of tea.

"Are you?" Johanna asked not taking her eyes off Kate.

"Yeah are you?" Rick asked cleaning Carson's hands and face.

"Shut up" She said throwing him the towel.

"Mommy threw a towel at me" He said Carson only giggled.

"I don't know if I am yet, I have an appointment tomorrow to know for sure." Kate said with a soft smile.

"Can you take him I need to go get ready" Rick asked Kate nodded taking Carson from Rick resting him on her hip.

"So does dad know you're here?"

"No"

"Should I invite him over for dinner?" Kate asked, Johanna smiled.

"I would love that" Kate pulled her phone from the charger texting her dad.

"How have you been since everything?" Johanna asked, Kate sighed looking at Carson.

"Pretty good, just wake up every morning glad he's still here." Kate said kissing the top of Carson's head.