Chapter 10

Kate sighed and leaned against the window, looking into the room where her mom was sitting. She was looking through a file and Kate could only assume that it was her own. She didn't know if she should go in or to just let her look through it. Biting her lip she gave up and opened the door. Johanna looked up tears in her eyes.

"Don't do this to yourself." Kate said walking over to sit down next to her mom.

"I thought I could do this, now I'm not so sure. I saw the photo of the crime scene." She paused closing her eyes. "I realized that you and your father saw these and you really had no idea."

Kate reached out taking her mother's hand.

"I never let dad see these, but they aren't real mom."

"I now but you didn't know that." Johanna sighed.

"We do now, but don't do this to yourself, I buried myself in it and we both know where it got me. It happened a long time ago and your back."

"What time is it? I'm meeting your father for lunch then we are making sure everything is ready for tomorrow." Johanna said drying her eyes.

"Almost one." Kate replied looking at her dads old watch.

"I should get going." Johanna said closing the file. Kate nodded smiling softly.

Johanna got up running her hand only Kate's shoulder kissing the top of her head.

"Thank you sweetie" She whispered.

"I'll see you tonight" Kate said, Johanna walked to the door and looked back smiling.

"I can't wait" Kate laughed.

Johanna sat in the car for a moment looking at the restaurant where she was supposed to meet Jim. Turning off the car she got out and walked in. Jim was seated at a booth and stood up as she walked towards him.

"Sorry I was running late." Johanna said kissing him quickly.

"It's fine I just got here." He replied sitting down, Johanna sat across from him.

"How was the office?" Johanna asked.

"done, I finished some paperwork and have the whole weekend free. So far nothing on Monday."

"Wow, that hasn't happened since Katie was little."

"I only do it for special occasions" He smirked, Johanna rolled her eyes.

"Is something happening this weekend?' She asked.

"Besides remarrying the love of my life?" Jim smiled making Johanna blush.

"I can't believe it's already tomorrow." Johanna said as the waitress walked over.

"What can I get you?" She asked.

Johanna and Jim ordered their food as Johanna tried not to smile. The Waitress left and Johanna looked at Jim.

"Have you finished your vows?" Jim asked, Johanna raised her brow.

"Is that even a question?" She asked with a smirk.

"No I guess it's not" Jim reached his hand out and Johanna took it playing with his worn gold band.

"I need to make a stop before we go to the park." Jim said looking at their hands.

"Where?' Johanna asked.

"It's a surprise" He smiled.

"Okay? You're lucky I love you and trust you as much as I do" She laughed.

"I am" He smirked.

Johanna laughed, soon their food came and they ate talking about grandbabies and the wedding tomorrow. Jim paid and they walked hand in hand to the car. Johanna watched out the window as they drove out of town still not sure where they were headed. Jim pulled up to a jewelers and parked the car.

"Here we are" He said looking at Johanna.

"What are we doing here?" Johanna asked.

"Come in and find out" Jim said opening his door, Johanna got out and took Jim's hand as they walked inside.

"Hi Jim" The older man smiled when they walked in.

"Hi Andy, here to pick up that thing." Jim said leading Johanna to the counter.

"Of course, this must be the lucky woman?"

"It is" Jim looked at Johanna.

"Yet the Lucky woman has no idea what her husband has done" Johanna said.

Andy smiled and placed a box on the counter opening it slowly. Inside was a silver wedding band with diamonds around the side, it was stunning. Johanna looked at it then back at Jim.

"Jim you didn't have to do this." She said breathlessly.

"You needed a new one, I got one as well but it's just a silver band. Look on the inside." He said, she took the ring and looked at what was engraved on the inside band. It was their first wedding date, she smiled looking back at Jim.

"I love it" She said quietly kissing him softly.

"I'm glad." He smiled. She placed it back in the box and Andy placed it in a bag along with another.

"Congratulations" Andy smiled handing Jim the bag.

"Thank you again" Jim smiled, Andy nodded and let them go.

Johanna got back in the car waiting for Jim to get back in. He got in and she leaned towards him putting her arm around his neck kissing him harder this time in the privacy of their own car.

"Thank you for forever being my best friend." She said softly, he kissed her forehead.

"I should be thanking you for putting up with me for this long." Jim smirked, Johanna laughed nodding.

"I have put up with you" She replied. "But truly, thank you for loving me even after everything."

"I will always love you Jo, I never stopped." He said looking her in the eyes.

"I love you too" Johanna said closing her eyes as she rested her forehead against his.