Chapter 8

Johanna walked carefully downstairs smelling the strong aroma of fresh coffee. Rick was standing in the kitchen leaned against the counter while Kate sat on the bar stool.

"Morning you two" Johanna said with a smile, Kate glanced up letting Johanna kiss her cheek.

"Morning mom" She smiled

"Coffee?" Rick asked.

"Please" Johanna said sitting down next to Kate. "This is nice not having to make breakfast" Johanna laughed.

"But your breakfast was always so good" Kate pouted making Johanna roll her eyes.

"I'll make something tomorrow morning" Kate smiled letting out a quick sigh.

"What was that?" Rick asked.

"Your kids kicking my bladder" Kate said looking at him.

"No, they're alians remember" He smirked.

"That was like three years ago"

"What was?" Johanna asked.

"We had this case and it was uh, on this mars simulator and Castle thought there was an alian in this creepy underground place so he checked me for bite marks in case the impregnated me." Kate chuckled.

"Interesting theory" Johanna said holding back a laugh.

"He has a lot of those" Kate smirked.

"And yet you married me"

"That was a poor life decision."

"I'm hurt Katherine Beckett" Rick said hand over his heart.

"Actually just my first marriage was a bad decision." Rick nodded,

"First?" Johanna asked looking between them.

"Yeah, I didn't know about it till I tried to get marriage papers for Castle."

"Who was it? and When?"

"Rogan freshman year of college in Vegas" Kate bit her lip.

"Oh Katie" Johanna said Kate nodded.

"Yeah and turns out he knew the whole time and used it to stay out of committed relationships."

"NO he used the wife in the coma on life support to stay out of it" Rick replied.

"Yeah so I forced him to divorce him and caught a wanted mobster in the process" Kate smirked.

"Well speaking of weddings, would you want to go shopping for a dress with me?" Johanna asked as Jim walked down.

"Sure" Kate smiled.

"Morning" Jim said still tied giving Johanna a kiss then Kate one on the cheek. "Rick, since it seams my daughter and wife are going shopping care to steal Carson away and go down to the docks?" Jim asked.

"Sounds good to me"

"Where is Carson?" Johanna asked.

"Asleep, but I need to get him up." Kate said standing up.

"I'll come with you." Johanna stood up as well following Kate up the stairs.

Kate flipped on the light to see Carson asleep in his crib, thumb in his mouth and holding tightly to his elephant. Kate walked over reaching down rubbing his back softly.

"Hey buddy, time to wake up" She said softly, he stirred slightly letting out a soft cry. "I know buddy" Kate laughed, Johanna stood next to her smiling. Carson opened his eyes slowly looking up at Kate.

"There ya go" Kate said sweetly.

"Mama" He said his voice quiet. He rolled over getting onto his knees before using the crib to stand up.

"Do you want Elli?" Kate asked grabbing the elephant bopping Carson's nose making him giggle and fall backwards. Kate laughed shaking her head.

"Grandma's going to steal her if you don't get up" Kate said handing her mom the elephant. "See"

"Noooo" He wined standing up again reaching for the elephant.

"The tickle monster will get you if you don't say the magic words, reaching out Johanna tickled his sides making me giggle.

"Nooooo" He squealed.

"What?" Johanna asked.

"Pweese" He laughed Johanna stopped handing him back the stuffed animal.

"Come here little man" Kate said picking him up out of the crib.

"You're so good with him" Johanna said as Kate kissed Carson's head.

"You have no idea how much I've wanted this" Kate said looking at Johanna.

"What?"

"You to be here, be a grandma and spoil my kids just because you could. When I had him I didn't, I didn't know what would happen. It wasn't going as planned and the doctors weren't sure he would even make it and all I wanted was for you to come in and say it would all be okay." Johanna sighed reaching out to take Kate's hand.

"I'm here now and I will do what ever you need me to when it comes to Carson and the twins. I'm not going anywhere" Kate nodded smiling softly.

"Let's go get breakfast" Kate said.

"Dadda" Carson smiled seeing Rick in the kitchen when they got down stairs.

"Hey bud" Rick smiled taking Carson from Kate resting him on his hip. "Want pancakes?" Rick asked Carson nodded happily laying his head on Rick's shoulder watching his dad flip the pancakes.

"Seeing them together never get's old" Kate said quietly to Johanna who smiled.

"It never will" Johanna winked putting her arms around Kate letting her lean against her shoulder as they all talked and laughed like the last year had never happened and they had been family for years. It was a wonderful feeling knowing that the small little Family Johanna had grown up with her whole life was growing before her eyes. She lowered her hand onto Kate's stomach smiling when she felt the twins move. Yes, life was truly beautiful.