Chapter 5

Johanna watched as Kate ran out of the precinct, looking behind her she looked at the three men standing there. Will, Roy and Rick, she locked eyes with Rick who looked heartbroken for his wife.

"Do you mind if I go talk to her?" Johanna asked, Rick shook his head.

"Here she'll be at this park most likely" He said grabbing a notebook from Kate's desk, Johanna nodded taking the note to go find her daughter.

She reached the park and could see Kate sitting on a set of swings, it was dark and there was a haze covering the ground. Handing the cab driver some money she walked towards the swings, Kate didn't look up.

"Do you mind if I join you?" She asked Kate smiled softly and looked up at her.

"Did Castle send you?" She asked.

"No" Johanna replied sitting down. "But he did tell me you would probably be here"

"Yeah"

"Why the swings?" She asked swinging back and forth slowly.

"Castle and I have had a lot happen on these swings." Kate said looking at her mom. "After I got shot I didn't talk to him for 3 months and we had our first conversation on this swing. When we got together I had almost been killed and I came here to clear my head. He proposed here" She smiled at that.

"So why come here tonight?"

"I don't know, seeing Roy alive wasn't easy. His funeral was where I got shot but also the first time Rick ever told me he loved me. I owe my marriage to him and his death. That's not really easy to take in."

"I'm sorry about all of this, I was only doing my job when I was protecting him and I didn't know that he was your captain. He was just an old friend trying to protect you." Johanna sighed.

"I know, it just pissed me off that Will knew you when I knew him and he never told me."

"He couldn't, but how did you two know eachother?" Johanna asked.

"We dated for six months after we worked a kidnapping case. But he was asked to move and when he asked me to go with him I said no."

"You dated Will?" Johanna asked, Kate laughed.

"Yeah why?"

"He just doesn't seem like your type." Johanna said Kate laughed again.

"No probably not."

"Do you want to go back?" Johanna asked, Kate sighed.

"Before we do can I ask you something?" Kate asked.

"Of course"

"What do you do when your ex and your husband are in the same room with a man that has no clue Castle and I are even together?" Kate asked, Johanna laughed standing up.

"Go in and hope for the best" She smiled.

"Great" Kate said standing up as well.

"I'm here if you need me" Johanna said while they walked to the car.

"Thanks mom" She smiled.

Kate looked around the precinct seeing Castle seated at her desk and the boys in the break room with Roy.

"Hey did the boys not let you join the club?" Kate asked slipping off her coat, Rick looked up from his phone.

"I was in there for a bit but I thought the tree of them needed some time." Rick said as Will walked over.