Bruises and Kisses

It was January 3rd and I hadn't heard from Richard since yesterday. He told me he'd be at my house at 7pm which was only in 5 minutes. I fixed myself up a little bit but not to the point where it looked like I was actually trying to impress him.

I sprayed some hairspray in my hair until I heard the doorbell ring. I stepped out of my room and opened the door. It was kind of dark outside so I couldn't really make out the details in Richard's face and he was awkwardly looking down the whole time. "Uh hey Richard", I said; confused by his awkward stance. "Hey Nikki, listen, it was all my fault the night of the party and I'm really sorry. I needed to do a better job at protecting you and I promise I will never let that happen again. I don't think you know how much pain I was in when I found out..", he said his voice trailing off between quick sniffles as if he was in the verge of tears. "I have something to say too but can you just look at me in the eyes? Why are you looking down?", I said confused. He looked up and one of his eyes was puffy and purple.

"Richard what happened to your eye!", I said in a panic. "I told you I had business to take care of. I didn't know Yashua had told you all those lies about me so it was payback time. I went to go visit him in jail and talk to him about it, but it kind of turned into a fight than a conversation.. But don't worry, I think he learned his lesson", he said with a quick laugh.

"Listen Richard, I forgive you and I'm glad you're here, but I don't think we should hold onto eachother anymore. You're leaving on a tour tomorrow and I have to get back to my life here and I don't want you to stop yourself from loving anyone else because of me. I admit it, I did fall in love with you, but your family has already caused me too much emotional pain and we need to move on". I said slightly closing the door behind me and stepping outside.

"I wouldn't want to cause you any more trouble Nikki than I already have. I just have one request of you before I leave," he said locking his eyes with mine. "What?", I said in a whisper.

He cupped his hands on my face and gently leaned in to kiss me. Unlike his strong built, this kiss was soft and slow. He kissed me like he knew exactly what he was doing and our lips felt like they we're meant for eachother. His lips felt warm against mine and they gave me this strange feeling that everything was gonna be ok. I switched my mind to reality and realized this wasn't going to be a kiss of love, but a farewell request for Richard. I slowly let go of his lips as he grabbed my face and our foreheads met.

"Nikki, you will be my last kiss before I leave and the first kiss when I arrive. You don't have to wait for me, but I promise I will wait for you", he said in a soft voice. I started to tear up and hugged him. "I'll miss you Richard. I'm so glad I met such an amazing friend like you", I told him. I felt a strong ache in my body as I said the word "friend" and I could sense he did to. Everything in me wanted to love him, but I knew I couldn't do it for each-others sake. We said our last goodbyes and I quickly kissed his cheek before heading back inside.

Someday Richard.. Someday..