Pancakes and Crowns

Nikki's pov

I woke up to the sound of my door slamming open. I jumped up in my bed and opened my eyes to see my parents hovering over me holding a stack of pancakes with a candle on top. "Cumpleaños Feliz-" they began as they finished singing happy birthday to me. Every year for my birthday, they'd always wake me up just like this: a stack of pancakes and they're horrible singing! I loved it every year and it made it even more special this year considering this might be my last year waking up in my room on my birthday. I'd be in college next year.

I got up and hugged my parents and thanked them. I went downstairs to eat my breakfast and open presents. I got a lot of new clothes, makeup, and money and was so happy! I almost forgot Johann would be here to pick me up soon, so I rushed upstairs to get ready. I wanted to look good and mature today so I picked out the perfect outfit. I did one last mirror check and paused for a moment. I was actually 18. Before I could think anymore, I heard the loud blast of Johann's car horn.

I ran out the door to find Johann stand right behind it. He scooped me up on my feet and hugged me as we span in circles. "Happy Birthday Nikkita!", he said as he set me down. When he set me down, I coincidentally had my hands behind his neck and his hands on my waste. We looked at eachother and I felt like he was about to kiss me. I saw him about to lean in, but then he stopped. He then quickly pecked my cheek and said "we're gonna be late for school!"

I was kind of disappointed that he didn't kiss me, but I didn't want to get a detention on my 18th birthday for being late, so we quickly got in the car. 

"So here is your first present", he said pulling out a small box from his pocket. I gave him a suspicious smile but then opened the box. It was a necklace. It was beautiful! I looked at it and noticed it had a crown on it. "Even though I'm nowhere near to being a prince, you will always be my princesa", he said grabbing the necklace and putting it around my neck. It was absolutely beautiful and I loved it. "Thank you so much Jo Jo! I promise I will never take it off!", I said giving his hand a light squeeze. "Bueno vamos a ver how this princesa handles her first day being 18", he said opening the car door for me.

I was at my locker and I suddenly felt someone squeeze me from behind. I turned around and it was Lauren. "Happy Birthday Nikki!!!!", she said as she hugged me. "Thank you! Wouldn't want to spend it with any other best friend!", I said. "Well I have a present for you but I'll give it to you tonight- I mean well yeah tonight uh if like Johann and us and Yoandri go out somewhere to dinner..", she said. "Yeah of course! See you later!", I said as I walked to my first class.

As I walked into class, I got a text from Richard. "Feliz Cumpleaños Nikki! I wish I could've spent the day with my now "legal girl" but you know I have to work. :( All the boys te mandan amor but especially me of course. Eres la llave de mi corazón", read his text. I really wish I had spent my birthday with Richard, but I wasn't sure if I still loved him like before. My love for him was different than my new found love for Johann, but I couldn't tell the difference between who I loved as a brother and who I loved as a boyfriend.