Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Lauren Dill

*Emily's Diary*

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh I can not believe what I just got for my birthday!!! I have always dreamt of leaving New Zealand and traveling the U.S.A. and I just got a one way ticket to LAX baby!!! I have never been so happy, excited and nervous before. I leave in three weeks so I must get all my gear ready. I have saved up all my earnings from being a waitress at the fancy resteraunt Celcius to pay for a ticket but since I have bestest parents ever, I now have loads of spending money. There is just one problem which is sorta the elephant in the room. I'm leaving without my best friends and I can't smuggle them because that's just wrong, after all I do have a sense of morality. Oh well, I suppose we should just have a farewell party at our little Wellington flat, shed a few tears and try have the best time we can together.

Only a week to go, I've packed most of my things, got my visa and am ready to go. Tomorrow night there will be a little get together with my friends, their boyfriends and a good bottle of champagne. Being twenty has it's merits I must say. I do wish I was going out with someone though, but it is also good that I don't, because we would probably have to break up and then we would be sad and things between us will get awkward so that doesn't sound like fun. My 'rents have planned it perfectly so I am going at the start of summer.

The party last night was awesome although I did feel a little alone when all my friends were having a good snog with their boyfriends. Sitting on the couch waiting for them to finish was a little weird, I guess it was just a comfort pash because I was leaving and they were sad about it. I hope. Other then that it was awesome. There was good music, good snacks, a fancy cheesecake that Caroline made as she is the Queen of Baking and then Sarah made a toast to wish me good luck. My friends are the best without a shade of doubt. On another note, it's a little scary realizing you only have five days left to make sure you have everything ready for a big trip. Life is really full of pros and cons right now.

I can't believe that this time tomorrow I will be on a plane on my way to the U.S. of A!! I have to have all my suitcases by the door ready to get picked up by the cab. I have never been more scared in my life.