16. Room 19

Lily's POV

I let my head slip and bang against the car window as Jason slips coins into the garage vending machine. My head is pounding and my arm is hurting bad, I am freaking out about this whole thing. Between, my life being threatened, twice. And me almost killing two guys. I just want to sleep. It's like a weird, never-ending dream. No - Nightmare.

Jason scans the area before unlocking and entering the car again.

'Here you go', he says whilst passing me a frozen cold bottle of water and a snickers bar.

'Thanks', I mumble rubbing my head.

'You okay?', he says whilst jamming the keys in the car again and starts to drive again.

'Not really just haven't slept this whole journey, head and arm are killing me', I groan.

'I'll find a lowkey motel to check into', he states.

I nod my head, trying to avoid talking by all means as it seems to be too much effort and energy, and I seem to be running low on it.

I screw the top off the bottle and tilt the cool liquid down my throat. My mind reverts to Mike's party, Sarah and I swigging alcohol. Oh how I want to be back there, with my friends. Being a 'normal' teen. Instead I am stuck on the run, my life on the line.

I feel tears clinging to my eyes. Ugh, why am I so emotional. I continue to bite my cheek, hoping to divert any attention that may come to myself. 

'So, um, do you know where we can, um, swap cars or whatever?', I say still trying to bite back tears.

'Not entirely, no. Maybe somewhere busy like a shopping centre. I don't want us being tracked or linked to the car so if we can ditch it somewhere busy, I dont know. It just seems more sensible...I guess, I dont even know what I'm talking about sorry', he scoffs in embarrassment.

'No, I agree. But I don't know where we can get another car?', I say - I dont expect him to get himself into any more trouble, not that it would make the slightest difference to his record. 

He grunts softly, in sign of deep thought.

-

"Just one room, like I have said the past 3 damn times", an irritated Jason repeats himself once more, his temper running short and evident as you can see his jaw clenching at the side.

"Alright sir, calm down", the man behind the paint chipped counter states. I find it funny how he calling him sir and speaking all proper yet looks as if he just crawled out of a trash can. No offence to him, it's mainly his evidently poor hygiene skills, his raggedy clothing and his disgrace of a 'hotel'. 

It genuinely resembles something you'd hope to see in a scary movie, however I am starting to think my life is becoming a straight-to-netflix, unrealistic and ridiculously crazy movie. The smell of urine and one night stands reek from this place. It looks like the type of place people come to kill themselves or worse, kill others. The man toddles off and returns with a rusted key for room number 19. Along the corridor and up the stairs, he points to the right of him, as he inches forward I can smell the stench of B.O and alcohol, I feel the back of my throat wrench - a clear sign that this man (although his hotel rooms have showers - i hope) hasn't ever heard of the amazing invention called a shower. I even see a piece of old tuna being sucked in by his beard, which happens to contain his last Christmas dinner. Disgusted is an understatement. Jason glances at me and starts to laugh, It is pretty evident that I am in a state of disgust and I guess I made a face that makes that obvious. Let's hope that facial expression said 'please can you take a damn shower because seriously, throwing up at the sight of tuna in a matted black beard was not on the agenda', and I hope he saw it.