Captain

The ball rolled a few feet away from me, was this fate? I am meant to do this?

I look up at my father that was gesturing me to go, I look over at my teammates to see most of them just staring at me, but they soon ran over, the opponents were closer to me then I thought, and this is why you split up.

But I know what they are probably thinking, 'she's just a girl.'

It angered me because they were right, I am just a girl. I'm not as strong neither as fast as guys. I may be small and look really fragile, but I do know one thing; how to play soccer.

I made up my mind and ran towards the ball nudging it as I ran. Two members of the opposite team run towards me trying to study my moves, but the thing is I never do just one thing. I kick; side to side, on my left foot or on my right foot all in different orders making it impossible to figure my moves out.

One of the two guys come running faster towards me like a challenge, he made a mistake by not bringing his friend with him.

When he randomly kicked I sway the ball out of his reach as he passed me. I then stop the ball a little before turning a 180-degree spinning in front of the second guy nutmegging the ball passed him.

Being so small made me look like I am extra fast. By that, all the guys were behind me still chasing me like rabbit dogs off their latch trying to get their ball as I took it of them.

I try my best to forget them and focus on the goalie. I had to do this on my own as my not so-called teammates were just standing at the other end looking like statutes.

I groan trying to run even faster, and I see the goalie get ready spreading his legs and arms.

I ran as close as I can to the goalie before kicking with a perfect amount of strength.

It was like I was watching the ball in slow motion. I can feel the pressure of my blood pulsing in every part. My palms were sweating like never before.

Suddenly, it hits the pole on the goal post rolling it back towards me like a second chance. But this time I don't have my run-up. Do I really need one to win this?

I pull my right leg back aiming as good as I can possibly intend before hitting the ball quite quickly passed the goalie's head just near missing. I heard cheers erupt around me as the ball hits the back of the net.

I heard groans just behind me but behind those groans was silence.

I took behind me smiling proudly. I see my teammates still standing in their same positions chatting to each other but just like last time the team captain seemed to keep staring at me.

I made my way back to my side to mainly get a drink and wash the pouring sweat off my face.

"Good job sweetie," my dad claps as I get closer.

I grab my water bottle squirting it in my mouth before puffing out, "thanks, coach."

I quickly spray it over my face before looking behind me at the guys who were still chatting, but more of them were staring at me.

I groan as my father looks at me. "What's wrong?"

I think for a second before responding. "They keep staring," I mention honestly.

"Maybe because you just kicked ass or maybe because they realised how gorgeous you are," He chuckles.

"Dad!" I nudged his arm playfully.

"Anyway that's the end of the game," my father turns around facing the field.

"I can't believe they made me stand out there for 2 hours," I say with a little anger in my tone.

My father just smiles at me before heading over to the guys and saying, "good job guys you did well. We won, so we are going to regionals!" My father shouts the last part as they all cheered. Why are they listening now?

"Okay Regionals is on the weekend in three days. On the second day, you all meet at my house and stay the night as we catch a bus early in the morning the next day. Got it," my father explains making me stand there shocked. Ten guys are staying at my house.

"Yes, coach!" they all say in unison except me.

They all grab their bags before heading off in the same direction. As I head over to my father I see the captain- I still don't know the name of- looking at me out of the corner of my eye.

I didn't worry about him I was more curious in my father's answer to my question.

"Dad, is this why you brought a five-bedroom house?" I ask quite harshly, but I don't mean to.

"Your so bright," my father smiles.

I keep a straight face, "ten boys can't share three rooms."

Something was flashing in my father's eyes. I also noticed he has been smiling a lot lately. Just what is he thinking?

"Just carry on with school until two, and we will figure this out."

I nod, understanding, "Okay."

When we walk back to our car, my father just happens to see the captain and who I would assume are nick and Rowan walking together.

By the look on my father's face,, I can already tell what he is thinking, and there is no stopping him.

He chucks everything in the back of the car before getting in by the time I am already ready.

He drives slowly until he reaches the three guys. "Hey, guys you wanna ride?"

They stare at my father before looking at each other and shrugging. How do they know we won't just kill them?

They get into the back seat one by one as the captain sits behind me, nick in the middle and Rowan on the other end.

As my dad starts to drive again, a chatter starts up about random stuff that I didn't listen too; instead, I just stare out the window like its the best thing to stare at before I look in the side revision mirror to see the captain doing the same.

I didn't really realise how cute he looked until now. I knew he looked like a jock and had brown hair and blue eyes, but I never noticed how his facial expressions change.

I didn't realise I was even smiling until I saw myself in the mirror and I looked away just in time as my father asks. "Where do you boys live?"

"I live at 264 canon road," Rowan states as my father makes a few turns and after a few silenced minutes my dad stops in front of a beautiful small looking house with white walls and a lovely garden indicating that maybe one of his parents loves to garden.

"Thanks, coach," Rowan thanks before jumping out and jogging inside.

"Now you boys," my father says waiting for an answer.

"Both to 12 Bridge road," Nick says.

Both? Are they having a sleepover or something?

I didn't say anything, it wasn't my business.

It was quite a long drive I would say twenty minutes or so, but they were in the same direction as our house.

"See you in two days coach!" Nick says getting out after the captain.

On our way back home it hit me, I haven't even told them my name, and I'm expecting the captain's name.

I sigh an I rub my eyes. "Tired?" My father question with a yawn. "Same here."

I wonder if I will ever become friends with the guys? Or even a teammate to them? But right now all I can think about is the captain.

iy?