Chapter 1-August 8th, 1495

August 8th, 1495

Billowing white sails in the wind beckoned me closer and closer to the harbor. Running through the shady alleyway full of rats and garbage, I cursed myself for oversleeping on such an important day. I rounded a corner and rays of sunlight at the end of the shaded street called out to me. Pushing myself to run faster, my satchel bounced against my legs and I emerged at the end of the alley, only to find myself stopped in my tracks from overwhelming awe.

The dock had become an epitome of activity, when only a week ago, only fishermen and the occasional group of children came around. A variety of colorful banners rippled in the air, held by gleeful children and proud wives while merchants had their booths set up in random places and thoughtful trinkets were being exchanged between lovers.

Exploration had been the word that was going around now-a-days. I wanted to follow in the footsteps of my uncle, Vasco da Gama. He had set sail almost a year ago, sailing around the tip of Africa to reach India. With this new trade route discovered, he was practically famous and my favorite, if not, only uncle. Although I didn’t see him much, when he did come to visit, our time spent together was enjoyable.

After my father, an experienced sailor, disappeared at sea when I was only 9, I lived with my Aunt Myla for 6 years. She didn’t come off as the nicest of people, with bright, red hair and seemingly judging eyes, but she had a heart of gold. She took care of me whole-heartedly and she gave me lots of love to make-up for the love I was missing. Even though it was risky, I wanted to experience the sea like my father had, but live to tell the tale.

When I was 12, I had earned enough money from helping a fisherman to pay for two years’ worth of a decent education. My father had always stressed how much knowledge could help a sailor. This wasn’t easy though, I had to dress as a boy for school and work, since girls were only supposed to do simple housework. School was especially difficult, constantly competing with the boys-making sure they didn’t find out that I was a girl- and keeping up with schoolwork.

It was all worth it though, when I signed up to be a steward on one of the departing ships that had been approved, my acceptance letter came back quickly. I figured that having a position that didn’t really require interacting with other crew members would be the best way for me to experience sea life without being found out as a girl. When I had told my Aunt the good news, she was just as happy as I was. She prepared a celebratory feast for the two of us and we reminisced about all the good things that had happened in our time together.

Today, I was sure my father would have been proud. He had always worked his hardest for me and I would return the favor. He had to give up his sailing life when my mother had run off to who-knows-where and there was no one else to take care of me. Some days, I had felt like a burden to my father, but today I would repay him for staying by my side for all those years!

Making my way to the front of the crowd was a Grade-A struggle. The massive crowd bumped, shoved, pulled, and pushed me from all sides. I was almost squashed by a middle-aged looking man who smelled like beer and was as wide as a couch. When I finally made my way to the front, I fixed my boyish clothes and joined the long line of people who were waiting in line to board the Omega Jade.

I had missed the Royal Charter because of work, but some friends of mine who were lucky enough to get on board as workers had gladly filled me in. The Omega Jade was sailing for the Portuguese, but that didn’t really matter to me. What mattered was that I was finally going to be able to go on a real sea voyage. Our ship and crew were spectacular but on the other hand, our supplies weren’t too well and navigation tools weren’t too good. I figured that it’d be alright though, as long as everyone worked together.

After what seemed like hours, I finally reached the front of the line. There, a skinny man with big, round glasses waited with a long roll of parchment.

He looked up from his list and pushed up his glasses with a pale, frail-looking finger, “Name?”

“Alex McGuillicuddy.” I responded, my real name was actually Allestra, but since I was a ‘boy’, that name wouldn’t fit my character. The man’s eyes searched the list and when he didn’t find my name quickly, I started to worry that my name wasn’t on the list. My stomach started to twist as he came closer to the end of the list without calling my name.

His thumb was on the last name on the list when he looked up over the rim of his glasses, “Alex McGuillicuddy?” He drawled. I nodded, my fear washing away with just my name.

“Welcome aboard.” With one arm, he motioned towards the ship and I couldn’t hide the smile that spread across my face. I finally did it. Looking up at the sky, I thought that I could actually see my father smiling down at me.

~*~

Yay for first chapters!

Anyway, this chapter is dedicated to DelaniRenee because she made the awesome cover for me!