Chapter 8- September 5th, 1495

September 5th, 1495

Everybody on the ship has been busy fixing the shrouds. The ropes are huge so a lot of people had to work at once just to lift them up. I helped moving them although I wasn’t nearly as strong as all of them. After getting everything fixed, a lot of the crew threatened to stop working. We had been sailing for weeks and not everybody was expecting all of this work to do. I had already known how hard sailing was from the stories of being at sea my father told me when he was still around.

Peter was sent out to raise sprits by the captain and soon enough, everyone was slightly happier. Joel was avoiding me like the plague and it was making me nervous. Even though he avoided me, sometimes I would catch him staring at me really hard, like he was trying to figure something out about me. Then he’d pretend he was never looking my way if I caught him staring. He was confusing me with his attitude and that made me even more anxious.

A lot of the crew members would be caught slacking off, just looking out into the sea. I bet that they were looking for land. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I wished to stand on something solid for once. All the crew members were anxious and tired from this tedious journey. For once, I didn’t look forward to sleeping. I’d just wake up and do the same thing I do every day, work, relax, work, and then sleep.