Scouting

I was in the car with Carter now and he had been looking at me strangely for the last half hour,  ever since he had found out I was half werewolf.

"What?" I snapped taking my eyes of the road for a second to glare at him.

"I was curious about the fact that your mate whether it is an elf or a werewolf would let you do missions." He told me in a calm voice.

I glanced over at him before turning my gaze back on the road and saying "He isn't Elf or Werewolf." 

"Still I'm surprised he let's you do missions." Carter said telling me that he caught on to the fact that I didn't answer on purpose.

"He doesn't know " I told Carter trying to keep myself from blurting out that he was my mate.

"He doesn't know you do missions how do you hide it from him?" He asked.

I felt my face twist into a smile at how oblivious Carter was.  "He doesn't know we are mates." 

Carter fell silent and I kept my eyes on the road not looking because I was scared to see what he thought of that.  The silence lasted about ten minutes.

"Why?" He asked suddenly.

"Hmm" I said glancing over.

"Why doesn't he know?"  Carter asked me.

"I've only seen him twice and I don't know him well"  I told Carter and watched his brain's gears turning as he attempted to work it out.

After a while he shrugged giving up and said "Come on let's go get those nasty little witches."

I smiled and said "we should be within three miles of their lair in ten minutes.  When we get there we will need to go on foot can you do it?"

'Yes of course I can" He told me and added on. "Will you be tracking him or me? Because I believe it would be quicker if you do."

"I am" I told him. 

"When we get there they won't be there because it is sunset.  They'll be out gathering supplies for spells and such."  Carter told me.

I nodded and said "I know we will only be gathering information like how many there are and then we will attack tomorrow."

Carter nodded and I looked over at him admiring his looks.  The I cleared my head and focused on the task at hand.  I pulled the car over and climbed out.   I began to take my clothes off so that I could shift but I was interrupted by Carter's voice.

"Umm what are you doing"  He asked nervously.

"I'm going to shift." I told him in a tone that implied it was obvious. 

"I know but in front of me?" He said with a shocked voice.

"Forgive me"  I said. "I usually work alone or with other shifters I forgot you may not be used to nudity."

He turned a light shade of pink and I chuckled before going behind a tree to shift.  I ran back out with my clothes in my mouth.  I deposited it in the front seat of the car then sniffed around for the witches scent.

Once I found it I began to jog and was closely followed by Carter.  After another ten minutes we were in the Lair.  I could smell at least three different scents maybe four I wasn't sure.  I  looked over at Carter and saw him doing something with his dark blue magic.

Then there were replicas of four different witches standing in front of him.  My hackles went up and I growled but than Carter came over and soothed me by petting me.

"It's okay my girl they're just something I made to see who was here." Carter told me.

I nodded and we headed back to the car where I shifted back to human form.   Then we got back in the car and he drove this time.  We stopped at a small hotel in town and stayed the night.