Chapter 14: The Unexpected Visitor

My heart stopped at the sound of my name from his lips. It was him...he was here. How is this possible? He was supposed to be in California or something. Why was he here? Out of all the places in the world he had to be here, in my hometown. This couldn't have been any coincidence.

My eyes had a burning sensation and I knew that tears would spill to relieve the pain. I had to get out of here...now. There was an eerie silence as the team members looked back and forth between him and I. Trying to figure out how we knew each other, and why we each looked like we had seen a ghost.

I snapped out of his hypnotizing gaze as the feelings of our last encounter flooded in. I felt nauseous, and all the fresh air in the world wouldn't take this feeling away. I wasn't a coward but I have to admit, I left London fleeing from a heartbreak and feelings I was not interested in resolving at the moment. I came back to Tonalea, my hometown to hide, and my past is all to good at finding me. In a town with a population of 613, I was truly wishing I hadn't made it 614.

Zac's P.O.V

What was she doing here? I thought I had left her back in London, forever. I saw the horror and pain flash across her face, most likely mirroring mine. As much as I loved Maddy at one point in my life, she made it clear that she didn't want anything to do with me. My heart quickened, screaming at me to react, while my mind stood in shock. I was locked inside my emotions and I couldn't say anything. I was surprised to see her in London, but this was different. So much has changed, I can see it in her eyes.

Her eyes were getting watery, and I hated that it was my fault. I wanted to run to her, and tell her I was sorry for all that had happened to her. I wanted to hug her and tell her I missed her. I wanted to scream that I never wanted to lose her again, but I didn't. Just like Cinderella she ran, only she left no shoe, no hope of getting her back.

"What the heck was that?" Jordan exclaimed in a freaked out voice. I snapped out of my thoughts. The rest of the guys mumbled in agreement with Jordan.

"Uh nothing." I walked away in clear confusion. I heard Jordan run after me.

"Nothing? Zac I'm your friend, and I know that what just happened there was no nothing. Clearly you know Maddy. The question is how? Why did you look at her like you'd seen a ghost?" He was demanding answers, and I wasn't sure if I was even prepared to answer them.

"Jordan just let it go...please." I snapped, walking away.

"No, I'm not going to just let it go. You're going to tell me why Maddy, by just looking at you, almost brought her to tears!" He demanded again. The sound of her name pained me.

"It's none of your business...so stay out of it." I warned him. I pushed passed him. I didn't like where this conversation was going. He followed me not missing a step.

"Maddy is my friend, and if you're making her upset it is my business." He said in a threatening tone. A pang of jealousy stabbed at me. Why was he making it his personal agenda to take care of Maddy? I wasn't a threat to her.

"I would never hurt her." I screamed at him. By now some people had stopped their side conversations to see what was going on.