Chapter 28: The Life That's Ever Changing

I drove the sports bike for hours circling the town. I didn't know how to return to the Hotel. I didn't know how to face my Dad without trying to strangle him. I was so angry and hurt, I had to remind myself to breath. I wanted to believe that this was all a long nightmare, but it wasn't...it was reality, and I had no idea how to accept it. Yes, I was often reminded that I didn't have a Mother, and it made me upset, but I'd learned to cope with it. However, this. How did I even begin to deal with this? My life was so screwed up, I had no idea where to start.

This was not the stuff I was supposed to be dealing with at this time in my life. I was supposed to be debating on what things to pack for collage, hanging with friends, my worst problem should have been what part-time job would take me through college. But no, I was stuck here wondering where my mother was. I was here wondering why my Dad told me lie after lie for so many years. Did he think I didn't need a mother, or did he think he could replace her with any other woman he chooses to marry? He let me suffer just to spite my mother, and for that I don't even know how to begin to forgive him for that. He sent me off to boarding school to get me away from my mother.

I'd, had enough. My Dad was going to have to answer to me for the first time in his life, and after that he could count on that being the last time he ever saw me again. No more running Maddy, time to face the music.

The sports bike acceleration hummed under me as I slowly rolled into the parking lot. Some by standers looked in my direction and then resumed their conversations. I somewhat expected Julio and Tony to be there so when I saw them standing near the doorway I quickly parked. It was about time I gave Tony his keys back. Julio wasn't in his uniform so I figured he was done for the day. I walked up to Tony and he gave me a weary glance as I walked up to him and gave him the keys.

"I'll give you money for gas later." I made a pathetic attempt at a simile. How could I smile? I had no desire and no energy to do it, besides who would I be kidding? Julio, and Tony knew better than anyone else that I had no good reason to smile at the moment.

"Don't worry about it...sis. " He offered a small smirk. I could help but smile then. I was pitying myself too much. Yes, I had lost a lot of precious years that I would never get back with my little brother, and my mother, and yes, my father was more of a stranger to me than my mother at the moment, but my mother was alive, what else could I ask for? That is what I wished for every time I watched a small girl hand in hand with her mother at the park or daughters laughing with there mother while they strolled down the aisles of the mall with bags in hand.

"Thanks, little bro." I laughed and continued to walk towards the doors of the Hotel. It felt good to laugh even though all of this was going on, but my mind quickly drifted to Jordan. Jordan always made me laugh. He'd been the perfect friend, and I pushed him away. I wanted to trust him, but everything I said was true, and it was refreshing to be honest with myself for a change. It hurt more than I could describe, to let go, but at the end, he would hurt me, or worse I would hurt him, so to avoid that it, was best we went our separate ways. At that thought, my heart skipped  in protest to what my mind was thinking. I found my heart and my mind constantly at war, but I made sure when I came from London that my mind would always win, for my heart's sake.

I walked to the counter and Gerardo looked up from his scurrying and saw me approaching the desk. His face lit, as if he had seen a miracle, which was probably the proper reaction, because as of a couple hours ago I hadn't thought to step foot in this town again.

"Ms...Ms. Walters...you're back!" He exclaimed. "Let me phone Mr. Walters down immediately." He nearly shouted.

"That won't be necessary Gerardo, I'm going upstairs to meet him. We have some...private matters to discuss." I said as calmly as possible, but I could feel anger pulse through me in waves.