Chapter 2: The Graduation Day

It was a sunny summer's day in New York City. Ross Victor woke up pretty early from his restless night before being struck by the fact that today he would be graduating from Luyt's School for Gifted Musicians. The sun was shining through a gap in the curtains, cars were rushing by the hotel on their way to work. Ross dived into his wardrobe with almost two steps from his bed, almost knocking over his nightstand in the proses. His graduation robe was neatly hanged from his wardrobe knob. He finally decided on wearing his favourite white button up shirt and green tie because it always brought out the colour in his eyes. He rushed out of his room toward the kitchen for some breakfast. The house was quiet. He finished his bowl of cereal and glided over the counter towards the spiral staircase located right between the dining room and kitchen.

"Rochelle can you hurry up, dad is probably on his way back from work to pick us up and I have not even brushed my teeth yet!"

"Can you calm down; I am almost finished, and just remember you did the same to me on my graduation day so stop complaining."

Ross stood against the wall with his foot left foot up and stared at the sealing. The bathroom door made a loud clicking sound and Rochelle stepped out from the bathroom and her attractive appearance emerged from the steam.

"All yours..." she said with an irritated look on her face.

"Thank you so much, I will meet you downstairs in a few minutes, and if dads here just tell him I am on my way." He disappeared into the bathroom as Rochelle turned around and walked towards the stairs.

Minutes later the elevator opened and Ross headed to the front door through the lobby. He greeted each hotel employee he passed by. Outside the hotel stood a man wearing a dark green velvet suit holding the door of his Ross's father's Rolls Royce open. Rochelle was already sitting inside when a tall attractive man emerged from behind Ross leading Ross by the shoulder towards the Rolls Royce.

"Come on, we are going to be late!" Said the handsome man as the door closed behind them.

York Victor had just got back early from work to attend his sons graduation ceremony. He looked quite exhausted as if he had just run a five mile marathon. Ross stared into his lined face and wondered whether his father would actually be watching him graduate or will he slip away to answer another business call just as he did on Rochelle's graduation day a few years ago.

"So you have a big day ahead of you huh?" Said York adjusting the height of his chair.

"Yes indeed, but I'm trying not to make a big deal out of it." Said Ross trying to sound professional just to impress his father.

"But you should, I never attended my graduation ceremony, I would much prefer that you treasure every moment of it."

"Yes, just like you treasured mine?" Rochelle whispered to herself while staring out of the window.

"Sorry Chelle did you say something?" York said and turned his attention to Rochelle.

"What? No, I was just reading that notice board next to the construction site." She lied and shuffled in her seat.

After a few minutes the Rolls Royce came to a halt at the gates of a large brown building almost higher that The November Hotel. The man in the green velvet suit got out from the front section and opened the back door. York climbed out, straightened his suit and walked towards the iron gates, followed by his son and daughter.

"Okay, so you guys can go through that gate over there and just follow the path until you see the podium and I will catch up with you after the ceremony." Said Ross in a slightly shaking voice and rushed off and out of sight.