Fifty-Three:Peaceful Morning

Demi's POV

"She wants to go," I told Wilmer over the phone. "She's pretty excited about it, too."

"Are you excited?" Wilmer asked.

"Oh, I'm thrilled. I can't wait to start. It'll be a whole new experience, for both of us."

"Well I'm glad you're happy with the decision." Something seems off with him. It was like he wasn't as happy as he said he was.

I sighed. "I'll miss you, though."

"I'll miss you more," he responded.

"Impossible." I grinned even though I knew he couldn't see me. "Come visit at one of the concerts," I told him. "We can go out afterwards."

"I have so much work here," he told me.

I knew he was right. He was so busy, he'd probably not be able to travel at all.

"It's getting late," I told him, looking at the time. Avery had already gone to bed.

"I'll let you go. I'll talk to you later," he told me, still sounding defeated.

"Alright. I'll see you soon. Bye."

After we finished our conversation, I got myself ready for bed.

Not ten minutes after I turned off my light, I heard my door creak open. I sat up and looked at the silhouette in the door way. I heard a sniffle come from the little figure. I reached over and turned my lamp on. "Avery?" I saw that she was rubbing her red and puffy eyes. She looked at me with her bottom lip quivering. "Was it a dream?" She just nodded. "Come here," I said, making room in my bed for her. She ran over toe and climbed into the bed. I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her in closer. I could tell she was trying to hold back her tears. A few quiet whimpers came from her and she snuggled into me. "It's okay, Princess," I whispered, running my fingers through her hair. "Was it your mother?" She nodded again, her face still hidden. "She can't get you anymore."

"She found me," Avery said weakly.

"Honey, she's in jail. She's no where near here," I promised.

"I know," she responded.

I let her fall asleep with me. Once I could tell she was fast asleep, I turned my lamp back off. With Avery still wrapped in my arms, I drifted off.

The next morning, I woke up to Avery playing with the ends of my hair. I smiled tiredly as I snuggled her in closer. She relaxed into me, and we sat peacefully like that for quite a while.

"Do you think she'll ever find me again?" Avery asked.

I knew exactly who she was talking about.

"As long as you're with me, she's not going to hurt you."

She nodded, and continued to run her fingers through my short hair, careful not to pull on my morning tangles.

"Are you excited to see the world with me?" I asked. She smiled and nodded. "Are you nervous?"

"Just a little," she said with a shrug. "But I'm going to be with you, so I'll be okay."

I'm so happy she trusts me that much. She needs someone she feels safe with, and I'm honored to be that someone.

Neither of us were in a rush to start the day, so I just soaked up every peaceful second I had with my little girl.

Another quick update because I start school again tomorrow, and I don't know wen I'll have time to update again.

I have a threatre competition on Wednesday, I'm so nervous!!