Sixty-Seven:Missed Call

Demi's POV

I was relieved to find Avery asleep. I didn't want her hearing the argument Wilmer and I just had.

I didn't want it to come to this. I didn't want it to end, especially the way it did last time. It hasn't ended yet, but I need to do everything in my power to stop it. It will hurt me. It will Avery.

The next morning, I woke Avery up for school. When she woke up, she wrapped her arms around my neck. I hugged her tightly, not wanting to let go. "Good morning, Princess."

"Good morning, Momma," she responded as she pulled out of the hug. "Dad left already?"

"Yeah, baby, he went back to his place last night when I got home. He's on his business trip now."

"When will he be back?" I asked.

She sighed. "A week. Maybe two. Hey, maybe we can call him when you get home from school," I smiled at her. She returned the smile, then got out of bed. I made her breakfast and lunch as she got dressed. When she came down, she ate her breakfast in silence. She then went to brush her teeth and hair. As soon as she put her shoes on, it was time to leave. I dropped her off at school, making sure she had everything she needed.

"Have a good day, I'll pick you up later, alright?"

She nodded and waved goodbye before heading into the school building.

It's crazy to think I started off as her teacher at this school. I only taught for one year before adopting one of my students, and my career took off unexpectedly.

When I got home, I unpacked, as I hadn't had the chance to yet. When I got home, I was so tired and frustrated that I went straight to bed.

After that, I started on laundry. I didn't have much around the house to clean, as Wilmer had taken pretty good care of things.

I watched TV as I ate my lunch. After a few hours of television, I noticed it was time to pick Avery up.

As soon as I got to the school, she came walking to my car. "Can we call Dad?" She asked.

"When we got home," I told her. "He was supposed to call me when he landed," I said with a little annoyance in my voice, but caught myself before it went too far.

When we got home, I made a snack for Avery as she got out her homework. I let her call Wilmer before she started on her work. However, the phone rang and rang before going to voice mail. I let her leave a message. Maybe he'll call back for her.

"Can we watch a movie tonight?" She asked me.

"Sure. After you do your homework."

"But it's Friday, and this isn't due until Monday. I'll have all weekend to do it."

"Or you'll have all weekend to forget about it," I responded. "Get it out of the way tonight so we won't have to worry about this weekend."

"But it's hard," she complained.

"Maybe I can help," I offered as I looked over her worksheet. It was some English work. It didn't take long to help her understand better what she was doing, so she did her work pretty quickly.

I let her pick a movie, and we ended up watching several before we both drifted off to sleep.

New book is out! It would mean a lot if you checked it out :) It's called Family Portrait. I'd really appreciate feedback on it! So if you're interested, please read. There's only four parts for now.