Thirteen:

I was on time to the first period, but I couldn't concentrate because I was upset. I mean, who wouldn't be?

At first I was sad, and really beat down. Feeling very small and wishing that I never existed. But then I got angry. At Charles for being a jerk. At Nicholas for helping Charles be a jerk. At my step sisters. At my step mother. I was just an angry mess.

Every time the teacher spoke. I would always find some word that he would say and it would trigger a memory about Charles treating me terribly, and that would just make me even angrier.

At the end of the period, for the first time ever, I rushed out of the classroom. I couldn't wait to get myself some fresh air. When I got outside I sucked in a large amount of fresh air  and just stood there (out of the way) not really sure what for.

"Bella," I knew that voice. I was not standing in the way. So that all the other learners   had enough space to pass. "Are you okay?"

I forced a smile and turned around, but my smile dropped as soon as it came as I saw the face of who stood in front of me.

"What happened...?" I asked Cole, who's right cheek was redder than the left. It seemed to be swollen too. He chuckled.

"Nothing really. I just got in a misunderstanding."

"A misunderstanding? Ha!" A boy that I didn't recognise said. He was a light skinned black guy. He was a bit taller than Cole. He seemed a bit upset, so I was guessing his comment was sarcastic.

He stood next to Cole-in front of me and almost glared at me.

"You want to know what happened to Cole? Just ask your boyfriend." Cole nudged him and he flinched.

"Mdeni is joking." So the intimidating guy's name was Mdeni. At least now I knew what to call the guy of my nightmares. "Right, Mdeni?" He chuckled. "I'm fine."

"Fine? Cole, are you serious?" Mdeni seemed angry, and I was pretty sure that it had something to with my "boyfriend" and Cole's bruised cheek. "The douche just came to us and punched you. The hell did you do? Nothing!"

"I'm sorry, what?" What did they say? Charles did what? I found in unbelievable, really and I had never thought that Charles could be violent. "Ch-Charles did that to you?" I furrowed my brows in confusion, and sadness.

"You don't have to worry, I'm fine really."

"I'm so sorry." My voice shook as I spoke. I felt really sad, mostly because somehow I knew that it was my fault. Something that I had said made Charles mad and he took it out on poor Cole.

"It's fine, really." Cole tried to make me feel better. But I couldn't. How could I?

Mdeni sighed. "We're late for class, man. Seriously." Mdeni seamed really annoyed and his eyes never met mine. When they did, they were not kind.

"Oh." Cole seemed to realise that he would be late. "Yeah." He smiled at me, but that seemed almost painful with his swollen cheek.

"Don't mind me. I'm fine, Bella. I'll message you later about the assignment." His reassuring smile was ironically not reassuring at all. All I could think about was all the pain that he was in...because of me.

•°•

I was very stubborn and was very determined not to see Charles. But he did not come to get me in my class, nor did he try to find me. So I spent break alone that day.

I was not upset. No, I wasn't.

The school day dragged on and when the final bell of the day rang I almost jumped out of my chair, but I did not. I waited for the class to clear up, and then I stood up and exited the class.