Sixteen:

"Charles. I did not expect you today."  As I looked at Charles, I could see the anger in him.

"Who's in your kitchen, Bella?" Charles was upset. His face was red with anger and for a while I forgot that Charles could actually smile. I smiled at him as I put my hands on his. The pizza box was warm. I almost decided against it because of the hard look Charles was giving me.

"Charles, don't get mad okay?" He looked into my eyes. His features softened just a bit. "Um..."

"Bella, who's at tha... Oh." I shut my eyes. I knew that Cole just came out of the kitchen. Charles's eyes hardened again as they stared straight behind me. "Hi, Charles."

"Cole was helping me make lunch, but you brought pizza so I guess we were making dinner." I took the pizza box from Charles. "You can come in. I'll make us something to drink and then maybe we'll go for a walk or something."

"Bella, how could you?" There he went being dramatic again.

"Cole is my neighbour, and he helped me with the groceries."

"You went shopping with him?" Charles was hysterical. Well Charles was smart when he wanted to. I never even mentioned that. I nodded.

"Want to see what we're making?" My body was doing everything without my consent anymore. Charles was furious. Cole was awkward. I was busy mumbling, trying to calm the tension. I started walking towards the kitchen and Charles followed. I could almost feel him glaring at Cole. I could also see it by Cole's uncomfortableness. "Cole come on, let's show Charles."

"I think that maybe I should go." I frowned at Cole.

"No stay. Charles just had bad breakfast or something. He'll look fine in a while." I looked back at Charles. "Stop glaring." Charles, of course, didn't. I put the pizza on the counter. Cole was next to his kneaded dough. He looked awkward and kept on glancing at Charles behind me. I didn't even look at Charles. I was scared of what I'd see, and throwing Cole out was not an option.

"You've never cooked with me before." Charles said through gritted teeth.

"You never asked. I showed you how to cut the baking paper right?" Cole nodded. "Awesome. There's a bread pan in the cupboard. I'll go get it." I walked towards the cupboard to take it out. "Put the baking paper on the pan and then use nonstick spray to make sure that we won't eat paper bread." I chuckled at my stupid joke. "Here. Put it in the preheated oven and then take the heat down. I'll be right back." I walked out of the kitchen. "Charles, come." I said when I passed him. He followed.

I walked to my bedroom got in and as soon as Charles entered I closed the door. When the door was shut I felt all of the stress go away and a much more heavier feeling replaced it. I could feel my cheeks getting wet as tears rolled down them.

"Why are you crying?" Charles was worried, as he always was.

"I feel so terrible right now Charles. I asked Cole to come here, okay. He's my friend." I think. "You're a terrible guy making me feel like this." I wiped away the stupid tears on my face. "I'm sorry. Just please be nice. I know you don't like Cole. I don't want to know why. But please, for me." Charles looked reluctant.

"If I agree, can I hug you?"

"I guess." Just then Charles engulfed me in a hug. He engulfed me in his warmth and made me feel relieved.

"Okay. I don't like to see you cry."

"I'm sorry." I could hear Charles's heartbeat. I could feel his steady breathing. "What kind of pizza did you get?"

"Hawaiian."

~*~

"That smells wonderful, Cole." I said as I walked into the kitchen. I could smell the bread that he was making and it smelt like heaven. It had herbs in it, Cole had insisted, and I was glad that I agreed.