Nineteen:

"Cari, that's not funny." I wanted to believe that it was all a joke, but the seriousness in Cari's voice caused me to stutter.

"It's not a joke, Bella. She talked to Cheri and I last weekend. She told us what she was planning." Her voice shook. "The time that you fell on the stairs was not a mistake. It was my mom."

"No it wasn't. I never saw her."

"Bella please listen." She begged. "My mom, she knows everyone. When you turn eighteen ninety percent of your father's assets will be yours. Bella, she wants all of your money. She wants the company, the house, but she can't get it if you are alive."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Charles stood up from the chair he was sitting at. He gave Cari a stern look. "Why should we trust you? You're your mother's daughter."

"I'm the one who called you this morning. When it started to rain, I knew that Bella could get cold and maybe sick. I would have gone on my own, but my mom would have gotten suspicious. She doesn't even know I am here right now."

"I still don't trust you." Charles gave Cari a hard look. He really did not trust her.

"You don't have to. I was just here to warn you. If you want to live longer Bella," She looked into my eyes. "Don't come back. She hates you even more now that you managed to get the heir to Princeton Enterprises to be your boyfriend." Cari's phone buzzed. She looked at it and her eyes widened. She looked scared. "I'm sorry. I have to go. She thinks I'm with Derek." She hurried out of the room. I sat quietly and I watched the spot that she had just stood in. I then looked up at Charles.

"I don't trust her." He said softly. He sat on the bed and put his arms around my shoulders. I took the gesture gratefully and laid my head on his chest.

"What am I going to do, Charles?"

"I don't know, but I'm here for you."

~*~

The school was broken into, that's why there was no school on Monday. There won't be any school for the rest of the week. Ever since Cari had visited me, Charles was always by my side. I didn't mind. I did not feel like being alone.

"You are going to live with me." Charles said the following day after he had bathed, because he slept over. I looked at him in confusion.

"What?"

"I don't trust Cari, but I also don't trust your step mom, so you're not going back to that house." I scoffed.

"That's my parents' house. I can't just up and leave."

"If you don't leave, then you will die and then you won't see the house again anyways." I was silent after that. He was right. He was just trying to look after me.

"Will we go get my stuff?" Charles nodded.

"Everything that you will need." 

I was discharged a couple of hours later. Sandy was there. I couldn't tell her that I was leaving, so Charles went. I sat on one of the chairs at the reception. I felt a bit light headed and couldn't stand too long.

Charles came back a while later with a smile on his face.

"You okay?" I nodded.

"What did she say?"

"If that's what you want, then she won't stop you." That sounded too good to be true, but I did not ask Charles any further questions.