Chapter 2

“Why do we have to go to a stupid assembly?” Skyler complained as we entered the auditorium. During fifth period the principal called an assembly. We haven’t had one yet this year, so this is sure to be interesting.

“Because the stupid principal is making us,” Amy answered. “Oops, did I say that out loud? Good.”

“Hey guys! Over here!” Ginny called to us from the mid-back of the room. We flocked over to her. She was sitting next to Paige who was too busy talking to Zach. Great. “Paige, our friends are here.”

She ignored and just kept talking to Zach. “And I was like ‘I’m Rich! Duh!’ It was so cray cray.”

“Paige!” Ginny continued.

“I think I hear something annoying,” Paige said still facing Zach as he turned around to talk to someone else.

“Paige, Cole’s here!”

“Cole!” she shrieked turning around. “You actually bothered to show up?”

“It’s nice to see you too,” I replied.

“Whatever, I was just surprised. I mean, you’ve been kind of hiding from the world. I didn’t know when you’d show your face. I thought you’d be more of a scaredy-cat.”

“You are very good at being sympathetic, you know that?” I said sarcastically.

“Whatever, let’s go Zach,” she said grabbing Zach.

“Wait, Cole is that you?” Zach asked ignoring Paige. She rolled her eyes.

“Hey Zach,” I greeted.

“I missed you. We’ve all missed you and we’ve worried about you.”

“Good to know,” I said looking at Paige who was too busy on her phone.

“I’m here for you if you need me,” Zach smiled. I nodded and turned back to the others. It was silent for a little while. These things always took forever to start because all of the classes had to file in.

“I guess we’re going then,” Amy uttered.

“What?” I asked.

“To the trial.”

“Why do you randomly say that?”

“The trial is at three. Usually when an assembly happens fifth period it goes into sixth and they usually just release us early. We’d be able to get there on time and you said that it being right afterschool was a big reason why you couldn’t go,” she explained. I stared at the ground for a second.

“Yes, Amy that’s right. But there are obvious other reasons why I don’t want to go.”

“I understand. What about that thing you got earlier though?”

“Thing?”

“The piece of paper,” she whispered. I realized that she meant the paper that she found on her windshield telling me to go to Ollie’s trial. The biggest mystery to me is how it appeared there. Ollie was locked up. There was no way that he could have done it. I hadn’t shown this to anyone else. Amy was the only one who saw it. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to ask the others though.

“Hey guys, do you know anything about this?” I asked pulling the piece of paper out. I passed it along the line of friends.

“Nope,” Skyler answered passing it to Ginny.

“Nope,” she echoed then passed it to Paige. Zach looked at the piece of paper at the same time as her.

“Never seen this before,” he replied.