Chapter Twelve

The next day, I brush my teeth, put my hair up into a bun, and dress into a blue crop top and shorts. I walk downstairs to find my usual breakfast sitting on the table for me. Once I've devoured the food, I tell my parents bye and luckily, they let me bring my phone to school.

I'm on my phone when the yellow bus pulls up at my stop, its brakes squealing. I cringe as I get on to the bus. This time, I end up situated by a girl named Sharon, who's in my science class. Besides some small talk between us, the rest of the bus ride is spent in silence. As the bus pulls up to Sandy High, I clutch my backpack's straps and head off of the bus. Carly is waiting for me, and Ari and Brittany are nowhere to be seen. Whatever. Grinning, I approach her. She looks pretty today, with a waterfall braid, light makeup, and an outfit consisting of converse, skinny jeans, and a cardigan. Her eyes twinkle as I approach her.

"Hey, Hover," she greets me with a smirk. "You get grounded or something? I tried texting you all weekend." she informs me. Retrieving my phone from my pocket, I see that I didn't even bother to check my texts. Five new messages. They're all saying "where the heck are u?" and I stifle a light laugh.

"Um, yeah. I got grounded. I have my phone back, though." I say, looking to the bright side. She gives my a thumbs up, and we start walking through the entrance to the school.

"So, Makenna, I've got a proposition."

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

I'm staring at the bare, white wall of the darkened janitor's closet, biting back my lip in anticipation. According to Carly, Karen is at the school today (for some odd reason) and she wanted me to spy on her. Sighing, I use my cupped hand as a cover for the bright light that illuminates my phone screen. I scan my lock screen for any texts from Carly.

Carly Emerson

Hey, sorry u waited so long. Karen is heading that way so watch for her through the crack of the closet. idk why shes here but I rlly want to know. don't get ur cover blown and stay there, k?

I nod and start typing a reply.

Carly Emerson

Its fine, and ill be careful. dont worry. and wut exactly am I looking out for?

A buzz erupts from my phone.

Carly Emerson

just anything...weird. okay? I just feel like we need to watch her

Footsteps can be heard in a pattern now- click, click, click.....I rapidly message a response.

Carly Emerson

K, someone is coming. gtg and stay on ur phone is case something happens

I sigh in relief when I see that the text message says "delivered." No more texts come after Carly, so I decide to stow away my phone and take a peek through the crack. Stepping forward, I place my eye on the opening on the door, looking for anything suspicious. There, is Karen. I know it's her, because although she's wearing the same outfit as Carly, her eyebrows are slightly darker and her features aren't as...well, perfect. Karen is talking to a kid now, I think he's someone from my ELA class. Frowning, I tune in to their conversation.

"Got it," the guy is saying. "I'll put it there. Now for that kiss?" he says, moving closer to Karen. She rolls her eyes and her face shows signs of disgust. She's probably using this guy as her puppet and pleasuring him in return. Gross. Karen nods.

"I guess so. Do it, you slob." she whines. The guy moves forward, pressing his lips on her cheek. Karen steps back and wipes it in disgust.

"Bye. And don't forget to do your job." Karen concludes as she walks away. The boy nods and walks off in the opposite direction. I pull out my phone and dial Carly's number.

"Hello?" Carly picks up. I flatten out my shirt.

"Hey, it's me. I saw some stuff. Meet me in the cafeteria." I say back. Carly pauses.

"What about the old teacher's lounge instead?" she proposes.

"Sure." I say. I end the call and peep through the crack to make sure no one is watching, then quickly step out of the sewage-smelling closet. Scrunching my nose up, I close the door and head to the teacher's lounge. Time to tell Carly what just happened.