Chapter Thirteen

Carly is sitting across from me, her arms draped over the side of the couch.

"So she's basically using a guy to do a job for her?" she confirms. I nod and she rolls her eyes.

"Well isn't that just classic." she replies sarcastically. I laugh.

"I don't know. It's kind of weird, if you ask me." I say. Suddenly, I feel kind of weird. This is the same girl that showed the picture of Ari to tons of people. Why am I even hanging out with her?

"Hey Carly?" I ask. She perks up when her name is called.

"Yeah?"

"Remember when you showed that picture to everyone of that little girl in a ridiculous outfit?" I ask. Carly's eyebrows knit together in confusion.

"No..." she replies. I frown.

"What?"

"I don't remember. I swear, it must have been someone else that you got me mixed up with." she replies casually. An idea pops up in my head.

"Wait...what if that was Karen?" I mutter under my breath. Carly looks at me.

"Huh?" she asks, confused. I shrug.

"Nothing. I just think that some of the times I saw you...well, I was looking at Karen. Carly, she's been at the school a lot more times than I thought she has. And there was this one time where I overheard this guy and you, I mean Karen, talking and I heard the same kissing sound. Sorry, I'm just rambling." I finish. Carly looks amused.

"You might be on to something, Hover." she says, the corners of her mouth revealing a small smile. I smile back.

"Yeah, I think I am." I say, scratching my head. Carly furrows her eyebrows.

"But what job could that guy do that she can't?" she asks. I shut my eyes.

"I don't know." I say. All of the sudden, the door flies open. In the doorway, is the guy I saw talking to Carly. He freezes and turns around, but I hastily get up and grip his shoulders tightly.

"Let. Me. Go!" the guy says fiercely. I shake my head.

"No, not until you tell us what Karen has you doing." His face washes over in panic.

"Uh-uh, Karen? Who-who's that?" he rambles. I roll my eyes.

"Oh, please. I know she's just using you so that you can get a kiss from her." I say. He frowns.

"How do you know?" he asks.

"None of your business." I snap. He stays quiet.

"Now, sit down over there." I instruct him, pointing to an unoccupied leather chair. He does as he's told and sits down.

"Now...what job is Karen having you do?" I ask. He looks uncomfortable.

"Um..." he starts. I punch his arm a little.

"Tell us." I demand. He takes a deep breath and begins talking.

"Karen wants me to try to scare you off so that she and Carly can, and I quote, 'rule the school together'. She wanted me to keep giving you notes that said creepy things and make you want to leave. Basically, she just wants to be friends with Carly and be popular." he finishes. Carly looks like she's about to laugh.

"Omg, she's that stupid?" Carly bursts out in laughter. "I'll never be Karen's friend, that's for sure." she says. I nod.

"Yeah. So next time you guys meet up, tell her to give up." I tell the kid. He nods just as Carly puts her hand up in defense.

"No! We can't. She'll know that we're on to her plan, and then we can't tell the principal about it." she says.

"Good idea," I say. "And since when did you want to tattle-tale?" I chuckle. She sticks her tongue out at me. I turn to the guy.

"Oh, and if you don't want to get in trouble," I say, "then you can't tell Karen or anyone else that we ever met or talked to you. Otherwise, you'll be in the office with her. Understood?" I ask. He nods rapidly.

"Got it. Can I go now?" he pleads. I release his arms and watch as he scampers out of the room.

"Nice job, Makenna." Carly praises. I smile.

"Thanks. Now how are we going to get Karen in trouble?" I ask. Carly's face lights up.

"I think I know."