Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Asshole

--

I have to admit, I am never good at parties. I have no idea how to even behave. But I could tell you, I know how to dress for a party. Iyon lang alam ko. Ayaw ko nga dalhin doon si Celeste but I can't disappoint Ingrid.

Nasa shotgun seat si Celeste habang backseat naman si Elizabeth, binabantayan ang cupcakes na b-in-ake niya mismo para kay Ingrid. It was surprising though, Ingrid invited her despite Elizabeth's history with Marquis.

Ignatius is a little but far from our place. Medyo natagalan kami kasi may mild traffic din sa main road. Instead of being annoyed with it, I was relieved. I couldn't think clearly to the possibilities that might occur during the party. I'm still not sure of my theory but I was still in Forbidden Lake when I heard of a certain Lucian Casamayor. Baka nag-iisa lang sila.

As of what I remember, Lucian Casamayor was Diana's boyfriend. Her last boyfriend before Celeste was even born. Palagi siyang bukambibig ni Diana noon. Lucian is sweet here, Lucian is handsome there, I love Lucian everywhere. Nasigawan ko pa nga siya noon dahil sa hindi siya matahimik noon. Naging malapit lang kami ni Diana pag-college niya habang papunta ako ng France para mag-aral sa isang prestigious baking school doon. Kahit ayaw ko ay sinasabihan niya ako ng buhay niya dito sa Pilipinas at hinayaan ko nalang siya even though I'm slightly annoyed. I've seen Lucian with her once in a video call pero madalian lang 'yon, she just introduced me to him and that's it.

All I know was that he was her first long-time boyfriend. Umabot sila for like five years. I've never heard some news about them because I became busy that time.

Three years after, I went back in the Philippines. I didn't even stay in Manila for long at nag-book kaagad ng flight patungo Forbidden Lake the next day.

I know a lot have changed after that but I never thought Diana's life too. Nalaman ko nalang na wala na sila Lucian. That is because Dad didn't want him for her. I don't exactly know how the shit happened pero ang alam ko, Dad was furious about it. Diana was forced to choose between him and us. Of course, following the Yevtushenko logic, siyempre pamilya ang pinili niya. She's was, well, devastated after that.

And then she announced, one fine day when Dad and I have celebrated our peace party, that she was pregnant. And the day after that, our parents were butchered.

Palagi ko ngang tinatanong kay Diana noon kung sino ang ama ni Celeste but she said it's better to let something left unsaid which I find really ridiculous. I mean, Celeste could ask one day.

At tinanong na nga ako ng bata.

Malakas ang kutob ko na Lucian ang hinahanap niya.

I wasn't sure about this whole damn thing. I wanted to turn our car, detour it back home, lock ourselves and watch cartoons or something. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang gagawin ko kung makikita ko siya. He could recognize me because, well, I look like Diana at some point. At makikita niya si Celeste.

He might take her away from me.

Now that I could see the resemblance of Ingrid and Celeste.

-----

"What's wrong?" Tanong ko kaagad kay Elizabeth nang makita ko siyang parang naghihinayang. Celeste immediately ran to her and grabbed her hand.

"Ate Beth?" Celeste called her.

"E-Eh kasi, Venus, parang hindi naman bagay ang suot ko sa party. Ang fo-formal ta's ito lang 'yong suot ko." She explained. I eyed her from head to foot. Hindi naman masama tingnan ang suot niya. She was wearing black skinny jeans with a simple ruffled white top and red pumps. Her hair was in a Dutch Braid at may konting make-up kang siya.