Chapter Thirty Seven

No

--

"Kumain ka na ba?"

He shook his head and continued watching the basketball game on the television.

"So kakain ka pa?"

He shook his head, still intensely watching the game. Nakakunot ang noo niya signalling that he is really concentrating.

I sighed. "Aren't you going to eat my cake? I made it especially for you." I said. Much to my disappointment, he didn't answer. I was having second thoughts of actually staying with him (although I have to leave for a significant amount of time for baking the cake because request niya 'yon). Padabog kong nilagay ang container sa table at umalis sa kama but Kaspar's arms quickly snaked on my waist that inables me to move. "What are you doing?"

"Saan ka pupunta?" He answered me with another question. Nagsukatan kami ng tingin. Of course I'd never back down, I was deeply annoyed with him.

"Well, it seemed that you didn't like my company and my cake, so I guess it's my cue to leave you and let you indulge with your T.V. show." I said while crossing my arms. Tinaasan ko naman siya ng kilay na tinawanan lang niya. He reached out for the remote and turned the T.V. off. Mas tinaasan ko pa ang kilay ko. "Why'd you turned it off? It was already the last five seconds of the game. Baka manalo ang team mo."

"Talo na ang team ko." I heard him cursed under his breath and whispered about his and Jim-whoever-that-is's bets. "Besides, baka magtampo ka niyan sa'kin. Sobrang haba na ng nguso mo o." Sabi niya habang pinipisil ang ilong ko. "Ang gwapo ko talaga. Paki-abot nga ng cake mo, Love."

I swat his hand away from my waist and stood up. I put my hands on my hips. "Are at least a bit grossed out with everything you say, Benedicto?"

He teasing smiled at me. "No, Love." He teases some more. "Tsaka 'wag ka nang english ng english."

I rolled my eyes. "Ang kapal ng mukha mo." I.muttered.

"Gwapo naman."

"See what I mean?"

"Could you guys just kiss already?" Celeste suddenly pipes in after playing with her iPad. "I really really want a baby brother."

I felt my cheeks getting hotter by the time Celeste mentioned something about a baby brother. I can't even think of any rational thing to say other than "Where did you get that?" and Kaspar just laughed his ass off as if this was the most amusing thing he ever heard from Celeste. Umiling-iling ako. Of course, Celeste is a growing girl and is very curious... but I really do think that was a bit too much.

"Well, I asked my teacher once in class how babies are made and she only said that it is only made if a girl and boy loves each other," she answers as her eyes sparkle. "And I heard when you tease a girl, Dad--Tito, it means you love her. So you two love each other, and I guess you can make me a baby brother."

I felt myself getting smaller. I wanted to creep in a rabbit hole and die. Or perhaps wishing the ground would just swallow me whole. For a nine-year-old, she already learned a lot. She's so innocent that it might be the reason of my death. God, thay was embarrassing and she's saying that infront of Kaspar! What's a lot worse than that? And speaking of Kaspar, bumalik na naman ang nakakalokong tingin niya sa'kin. Mas lumaki ang ngisi niya sa mukha. "Paano ba 'yan Cel, ayaw ng mommy gumawa ng baby."

"I'm pretty sure mom loves you. Name-mention pa nga niya ang name mo in her dreams e. I sometimes hear her, you know tito?"

What. The. Hell.