Chapter Five

Chapter Five

To say I was stunned, or shocked would've been like calling an ant a bear. I was beyond stunned, beyond shock, not even bordering on disbelief. I doubt there's a word for it, really. I just sat, frozen, in front of my computer screen, refusing to believe what I'd just read.

Lennox: You there?

I breathed in and out slowly, very slowly, and forced myself to say something.

Adrianne: Yeah. The person you like...is me?

Lennox: Got problem?

I face-palmed and rolled my eyes. Who says that, 'got problem'? Seriously! If you weren't playing a prank, then the girl you apparently have feelings for says she feels the same, and when she tries to confirm it, you ask whether there's a problem. Honestly! I thought boys could be dense, but Lennox, you take the damn cake!

Adrianne: Well, no, it's just...I didn't think you would.

Lennox: Why not?

Why not? Why not? You sick, messed up, confusing son of a...before I could curse my best friend/romantic interest, I breathed and relaxed. He's such a jerk in such a weird way.

Adrianne: Well, I don't know, you've never shown interest in me before until now.

Lennox: And you never wondered why I never showed interest in anyone else up til now?

Damn. He had me there.

Adrianne: You're such an idiot. How would I know? Is this a prank?

Lennox: No. Not a dare, not a prank.

Adrianne:...really?

Lennox: Yes.

I didn't know what to say next. I just couldn't think of anything to say because...well, isn't it obvious! I wanted to hug him and wring his neck, be in his arms and slap him at the same time, it was so confusing.

Adrianne: Why me?

Lennox: Why not you?

I groaned. Again with the questions answering questions.

Adrianne: Because...well, look at me.

Lennox: I can't actually do that now, can I?

Adrianne: =.= look, I don't know what to say right now...

Lennox: Haha. Then let me. I had feelings for you since the start of this year, but I don't know why things got worse for me until I had to tell you.

Adrianne: Lennox...I don't know, you know what happened with Nash, I just...

Lennox: I'm not going to hurt you.

Everyone knew that was absolute bull, of course, because sooner or later, however much a guy might like you, or care for you, or love you even, there will be a point where he will most definitely hurt you.

But I didn't wanna mention that right now, so I played along. It was a sweet notion, after all...

Adrianne: ...you're sweet...

Lennox: Haha, thanks...

I swear, if he laughs at me one more time at a crucial point like this, I will murder him on Monday. I was about to retort when he entered another message, not one that I liked.

Lennox: Hey, I'm sorry, but I have to go. I'll see you on Monday, ok? Don't tell anyone first.

Adrianne: Oh...ok, bye, see you Monday...

Lennox: Bye <3

A heart? I couldn't decide whether that was sweet and/or touching coming from someone as cold as Lennox, or whether it was just downright...well, gay.

But for the moment I didn't really care. I just wanted to stop smiling.

The next Monday, I tried to act like I was fine, like nothing between me and Lennox had changed. But as hard as I  tried, I couldn't. We didn't sit next to each other but we met up the whole day because we were in the same class. It felt different, but in a good way.

He maintained his poker face, and his cheeky smile that now sent me doing mini cartwheels. He hid...whatever he was feeling pretty well, unlike myself. I turned red around him, when I saw him, whenever I heard anything to do with him, stuttered around him, and my smile has never been this shy. 

After school, he approached me. "Hey," he said, grinning, a smile I'd gotten used to but still made my heart thump faster.

I turned around in surprise, even though I recognized the voice. "H-hey," I said shyly, smiling and cursing myself afterward for being so nervous around him.

"Facebook later?" he asked carefully, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah. Yeah, okay," I answered, smiling, and took a step back. My ride was here and calling for me already. Before I could say goodbye and turn around, he closed the gap between us to stand exceptionally close. I gasped a bit - no boy has ever been allowed this close before. True story.

"Bye," he said softly, smiling a little more gentler, a smile I have never seen on his face before, and I liked to think he saved it for me.

"Bye," I murmured, distracted at the closeness, and slowly turned on my heels to walk away. I glanced back quickly before getting into the car, and when I caught him watching me, I smiled, and he smiled back.

Lennox: Hey.

Adrianne: Hey :)

Lennox: How was your day?

Adrianne: Umm, we were in the same class. You would know.

Lennox: Haha. So, are we official? 

I caught my breath, and turned tomato red.

Adrianne: What, as in...a couple?

Lennox: Yeah.

Oh. My. God. He's actually asking. Well, of course, you dumb fuck, what else would my answer be!

Adrianne: Well...I want to be...do you?

Lennox: Yeah :)

Adrianne: Okay :) but promise me something...if something happens to us, like breaking up, please just promise me one thing...

Lennox: It won't. But what?

Adrianne: You never know...just please stay best friends.

Lennox: That, I can do easily :)

Adrianne: Hmm. Okay.

Lennox: Hey, look, I have to go, I'm sorry. See you tomorrow.

Adrianne: Oh okay. Bye...

Lennox: Bye. I love you <3

I smiled.

Adrianne: I love you.

Oh my god, I love this chapter, wheeee hahah!! :D