Chapter Six

Chapter Six 

We were inseparable since that day; whether or not in the canteen or in class, whenever someone had to ask, "hey, where's Adrianne?" the answer would've been "over there next to Lennox" - or vice versa. It was the best feeling in the world.

In took a while for people to get it because we'd already been best friends for so long, but eventually it began to sink in. It started with Mel and Nash, and they kept the secret, before Lennox decided to tell the rest of the Kats. 

Oh, I forgot to mention - Nash, Rex, Lennox and Lee had formed their own dance crew called Amazing Freestyling Copy Kats, or AFCK for short, and made me their manager. Don't judge me, we were 12 and not particularly creative, and besides, I didn't get a say in the name.

Anyway, Lennox was the most unorthodox boyfriend anyone could've asked for. Sure, we held hands and hugged and were there for each other and got jealous and all, but I swear, the things he said sometimes was like he was talking to one of his bros rather than his girlfriend. I like my boyfriends sharing things with me, but there's a way to talk to your girlfriend that separates her from your bros.

But I was happy.

Concert day was officially the last day of school for us Year Six, and as we sat together watching the last few boring, lifeless, how-the-hell-did-that-get-through-auditions performances, he suddenly slipped his hand into mine.

I stared at him in surprise - he wasn't usually this sudden. "You okay?"

He was silent for awhile, and I wasn't surprised - he was kind of like the strong, silent type - and I was about to ask him again when he spoke softly, "You know I'm not gonna leave you, right?"

I was so surprised, it was incredible. He's mentioned all these things before, but they were always in jest, in passing, nothing mentioned during anything serious... I caught myself before the silence got awkward as he stared at me with his intense eyes.

"You know you can't promise that..." I answered softly, awkwardly.

"Yeah, I can," he justified with a sigh, turning back to a sad performance of what doesn't have the right to be called hip-hop. "Why would I?"

"There are girls at your martial arts class," I stated matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, and they're all older than me, or as young as my sister," he said dryly. "Adrianne...please believe me, I love you..."

I smiled. "I know...and I love you too, but bear in mind, anything can happen."

"My leaving you doesn't come under 'anything'," he said seriously. "I mean it." The grip on my hand tightened ever so slightly.

I nodded, realizing how serious he was being. "Okay." I had to change the topic fast, before he said something else this serious - I didn't want to tell him I didn't believe him, even if he did mean it - so I said, "So...Nash is planning to kiss Mel."

He laughed. "Yeah, I know. He's been going on about it since they got together. I don't think he's got the balls."

I grinned. "You never know..."

"I doubt it, look at his face and tell me now whether you think he can," he said, nudging his head in the direction of Nash and Mel who were sitting together and trying to be discreet about laughing about something.

I didn't have to look, I seriously doubted he would too. I laughed a bit more with Lennox, before he said, "Sorry I don't have the balls too either."

I turned to stare at him. What? You idiot. Don't you think I knew that?

Choking out a laugh, I said, "Yeah, duh."

He turned to smile at me, and for that short second, I thought maybe, just maybe, he was serious about not leaving.

When concert was officially over, so was our primary school lives. I felt like crying, hugging friends, some I'd been with for six years. After this it was a new life, new friends; I might not see some of them again.

I wasn't crying, just feeling emotional hugging everybody, until someone came to me in full out tears asking for forgiveness for things she did without noticing it hurt me - like she did any of those - and then I burst into tears.

Thanks.

I hugged Lennox last - or rather, he came to me last - because both he and I knew that I - if not him - didn't want to deal with this goodbye sooner. When he finally approached me though, I didn't even have time to stare at him before he embraced me tight, lifting me off the ground and swinging me around slightly. When he put me back down, he said into my ear, "I love you."

"I love you too..." I managed to force out - damn tears - and let him go to wipe the tears off my cheeks. "I hate it when I cry," I tried laughing. "I look like a wreck."

He chuckled and took my face in his hands to wipe the tears away with his thumbs. He leaned down to touch my forehead with his, and even though this rare, almost non-existent emotional, sensitive side of him was something I was used to, this notion surprised me, and for a split second I thought he really was going to kiss me.

My heart was thumping...before moved away.

Fuckkkk....I almost said.

In silence, he took my hand into his and walked me down the staircase along with Nash and Mel, and let me go when he caught sight of my parents. "See you around," he said softly, trying and managing a smile.

I smiled, fully, if anything to make him feel better. "Bye."

I ran to my parents to be greeted with a hug and a "well done" for my performance, and when we started walking away, I turned around to see if Lennox was still there.

He was, and he waved a final goodbye.

During the holidays, we MSNed, Facebooked, webcammed; I even went over once with the rest of the Kats. It was going all smooth and well, until one day he didn't show up on MSN. Or Facebook. The next day was the same. And the next. And the next.

By the fifth day I wanted to start crying, when I opened my MSN to find an offline message waiting for me.

Hey, Adrianne. I'm so sorry I haven't been online lately. Well, my training got changed to different hours for another competition, because I didn't get into that one for Singapore, remember? So I can't come online to chat with you like usual. I'm sorry, I hope I can make it up to you...before you find someone else. Bye.

Even if this relationship ends on my part, it will take a while, I thought. I won't leave, Lennox...I just hope you won't, either.

The second half of my holidays were spent missing him. It felt so different. I didn't even know if he was feeling the same way. I knew he was fine from his Facebook updates and the occassional message but it was different, so, so different.

I knew this relationship wasn't meant to be serious, but however temporary it might be, it still means something to me. I only prayed that things would be different when we met again in secondary school.

If only my future self could've travelled back in time to tell me to just kill the damn hopes already.

Hi again...:) I would've updated yesterday, but I went for a walk instead. Where are my readers, come on!! :P I promise the plot gets more interesting later on, however simple it might be, if you'd just bear with me :) spread the word if you think this is good, and comment, please :)

To L.A. : You feature in the next few chapters. Sorry if I 'happen' to insult you :P